- Biography of Legendary Cyclist Bernard Hinault – Bernard Hinault is one of the greatest cyclists of all time. He is a five-time winner of the Tour de France and the only man to have won each of the Grand Tours on more than one occasion. The Badger: The Life of Bernard Hinault and the Legacy of French Cycling as written by William Fotheringham, takes a close look at Hinault, aka: The Badger while also exploring the reasons that France has had a difficult time producing another Tour champion. Published by Chicago Review Press. The book is available at Amazon.com
- Trek Travel Unveils The One Collection – Trek Travel has unveiled “ONE”, a series of cycling vacations that explore glorious parts of the world on two wheels from one fantastic hotel base, allowing adventurists to unpack, unwind and hit the open road. “ONE” allows guests to indulge in the superb luxuries at one perfectly situated, jaw-dropping world-class property while still having access to the great rides, intimate cultural experiences and regional gastronomy of their destination. For further information contact Trek Travel at 1-866-464-8735 or visit trektravel.com.
- Cycle Adirondacks is Here! – There’s still time to sign up for a 3-day, 4-day, or 7-day tour which begins August 23rd and ends on August 29th. Hosted by the Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) in partnership with I Love NY, the inaugural Cycle Adirondacks kicks off this weekend. At last count, more than 150 cyclists from 29 U.S. states and two Canadian provinces are gearing up for one of three tour options taking place from August 23-29. Click here for more information on this scenic, fully supported ride.
- Environmental Leadership Award – #takethebeareverywhere – Polar Bottle is proud to announce that it has been accepted as a Bronze Achiever member of the Colorado Environmental Leadership Program, run by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. This award is given to companies who are committed to environmental improvement. Read more about this award in our blog. Environmental Leadership Blog Polar Bottle created the #TakeTheBearEverywhere campaign to encourage the use of reusable water bottles for more than just sports to reduce the waste of single use bottles. By taking the pledge on our website, you are committing to try and use your reusable water bottle more. There may even be a present at the end…Take The Pledge
Racing & Events
- UCI MTB World Cup 2015 Downhill Finals from Val Di Sole, Italy – The fastest downhillers in the world return to Val di Sole, Italy this year. The town in the Dolomite Alps was not on the racing calendar last year but will now crown the overall downhill champion this weekend. The steep and technical course will definitely not be a cake-walk. So, brew up some espresso and watch the race live on Saturday, August 22nd at 8:30 AM (EST) on RedBull.TV
- First-Ever Hong Kong Cyclothon Brings Together Cyclists from Around the World – The first-ever Hong Kong Cyclothon will welcome cyclists from around the world to immerse in the culture and breathtaking landscape only offered by Asia’s World City. There will be eight different riding categories so cyclists of all skill levels have the opportunity to participate and experience the beauty of Hong Kong. The two-day event kicks off the evening of October 10 as professional riders embark on night races through the neon-lit streets of Kowloon. Casual races begin the following morning on October 11.
- Rocktober at Malibu Creek State Park – The Rocktober event will bring in just over 300 women and some of the top bike companies in the world. Its a day of guided rides, skills clinics by Leigh Donovan, demo bikes, exhibitors, raffles, guest speakers and more. The event is free to participants and is at Malibu Creek State Park in Calabasas, CA. Visit GirlzGoneRiding for more information.
- Action Fun & Fat Beats: Biketember Festival in Saalfelden Leogang – As autumn draws near, the Biketember Festival – September 18th to 20th – is an unmissable event for passionate riders. More tough races, expo areas with the hottest new products and a vast side program including a whip-off contest and a party, is the perfect ending to another great year in Saalfelden Leogang, Austria. News and information about Saalfelden Leogang can be found on: Facebook and at saalfelden-leogang.com
- 718 Cyclery First-Ever Cargo Bike Rodeo Community Event – This Saturday, August 22nd, 718 Cyclery in Park Slope, the largest supplier of cargo bikes in New York City, will host NYC’s First-Ever Cargo Bike Rodeo from 9am to 6pm. The event will include a cargo bike race, raffle and free BBQ lunch, as well as a group test ride on the streets of Gowanus. 718 Cyclery will be raffling off a 2015 Yuba Mundo. Raffle tickets are $10, available online and in-store, and proceeds will go to Transportation Alternatives. There will also be cargo bike maintenance and service demonstration. Bikes from all major cargo bike manufacturers will be available to test ride and purchase, including traditional models and electric-assist versions.
- “Two Days Strait” – Kyle Strait Mountain Biking Camp at Snow Summit Bike Park – Set for Sept. 19 and 20, Kyle, Rachel Thorpe and a few of their friends will provide two days of coaching, riding, camping and all around good times. The rider to coach ratio will be set at 5-1, so there’ll be plenty of hands-on and personal instruction. Saturday night we’ll be camping in the meadows camp ground adjacent to Snow Summit. Visit TwoDaysStrait for more information.
- Sam Hill Frame Auction for Dementia – Sam Hill, five times world champion downhiller, has chosen to donate a signed bike frame for an online auction to raise funds for the Dementia Foundation for Spark of Life. Sam’s bike frame will be available for auction during the week of Monday 24th to Sunday 30th August 2015 on Ebay via the Dementia Foundation for Spark of Life.
- Intense Cycles Announces New Distributor in Germany & Austria – Intense Cycles has announced that it will partner with Importer/Distributor, Shock Therapy to serve the German and Austrian bike markets beginning on September 1, 2015. Intense has been growing fast in many European countries during the last seasons and is now ready with a new 2016 collection to be present in the biggest MTB market in Europe. IntenseCycles.com
- Pearl Izumi Pledges to take back Endurance Sport for the True Athlete – Pearl Izumi, the official merchandiser of the USA Pro Cycling Challenge (USPCC) this week, has launched a completely new brand position across all three product categories—cycling, running and triathlon. The new platform is called “Endure & Enjoy”. The new brand position, “Endure & Enjoy“, celebrates the passion behind, and the results of hard work —a core value that all endurance athletes share. Pearl Izumi believes that the sport is a sanctuary for anyone and everyone who yearns to sweat, sacrifice and suffer their way to earned enjoyment. Sign The Pact by sharing it at: thepact.pearlizumi.com. As a member of The Pact, Pearl Izumi will send you an Endure & Enjoy stem cap.