Yeah, there was still a part of your bike that wasn’t carbon. But Barbieri’s CarbonAria carbon valve stems solves that problem, and knocks precious grams off the rotating mass.

Coming in at a claimed 4g per valve in this 45mm long version, they’re wicked light. They say a shorter 35mm length is on the horizon, too.

barbieri carbonaria carbon fiber tubeless valve stems for bicycles

Our scale backs up their claims, even with the larger of two rubber seals (our “tradeshow” scale has seen some abuse, and it kept waffling between 8g and 9g) coming in on target.

barbieri carbonaria carbon fiber tubeless valve stems for bicycles

Each pair comes with all the bits needed to make it work, including the two different shapes of seals, helping you get the best fit on your bike.

barbieri carbonaria carbon fiber tubeless valve stems for bicycles

We’re bringing a set home with us for test, stay tuned. Retail price is about €19 (probably $20 USD), on par in both price and weight with the alloy ones we used for our latest World’s Funnest Bike project. Except they’re carbon. Which is awesome.

Barbieripnk.it

15 comments

1. Larry Falk on

I haven’t decided if I like this part with the lock nut being used on threaded carbon. Anyone know if this is a good idea? In this capacity?

• Collin S on

I’ve sheered off an aluminum stem before. I had an almost flat burbed tire in the middle of snowy wintery ride. Hit the thing with CO2, the CO2 froze the water on the stem to the inflator. When I went to remove the inflator, it was stuck so I had to add a little muscle, and PSSHHH! Stem sheers off and there goes all my air.

2. Jeb on

This actually makes sense. As noted above aluminum ones don’t play well with Co2. Same price (read people, jeez) as aluminum, if they are just as durable what’s not to like?

3. Ripnshread on

Nice application of injection molded plastic. Using the right resin/fiber mix this easily could be strong enough for the application. Threads look coarse and deep. Nice product.

4. Cryogenii on

Blimey guys, how hard do you do up the lock rings on your valve stems? I don’t think it’s a highly stressed thread so plastic should be fine.

In all seriousness; if you have to chuck a tube in your tubeless set up on the trail you better be able to undo the lock ring with your fingers…

5. Char on

Yeah for real we have seen far stupider “upgrades” for far more $$ (this being unbalanced rotational/sprung weight too). This really doesn’t cost much more than a pair of steel valves in the first place, so as long as the nut is a soft enough material I don’t see why this wouldn’t work.

6. Lance on

I have a couple sets. they are great. and ya, a couple grams, But at the most important part of the bike. I haven’t broken any of them in the year+ they’ve been used (although my daughter did via too much side pressure with a pump – would have broke Al ones too.

COMMENT HERE: (For best results, log in through Wordpress or your social media account. Anonymous/fake email comments may be unapproved or deleted. ALL first-time commenter's posts are held for moderation. Check our Comment Policy for full details.)