There’s no way to miss the added accessories on this one. With the introduction of their new 1120, Trek is diving deeper into the world of adventure riding and touring with a bikepacking specific build. Designed to be geared up for the long haul, the 1120 looks to be a slightly tweaked version of the Trek Stache – their popular 29+ hard tail. Add (a lot of) bags, gear, and get ready to set of for your next big adventure…

Photo via Trek’s instagram feed

First shown as a concept called the 1020 back in 2015, it looks like the idea is finally becoming a reality, though with a few notable changes.

The 1120 is still based around the Stache, but the frame has a new kink at the top/bottom/head tube junction as well as all new proprietary braze on mounts. That would be to accommodate the proprietary racks that are included with the bike front and rear. While the 1020 used more classic touring racks, the 1120 goes with a more minimalist approach which looks better suited to a combination of rack and bag packing. Most importantly, it looks like the design will keep anything from dragging on either tire which can be a problem with a fully loaded saddle or handlebar bag. And if you’d rather ride rack free, it appears that they are removable as well.

Additionally, the  1120 includes a new suspension corrected Boost Adventure fork in carbon with three pack mounts on each leg. Otherwise, the bike seems to be pretty similar to the current aluminum Stache models with Boost spacing, their Midstay design with a PF92 bottom bracket, Stranglehold dropouts for single speed, belt drive, or wheel base adjustments, and G2 geometry. Speced with a Shimano SLX 1x drivetrain, Race Face Aeffect crank, SRAM Level T brakes, Bontrager components, and 29 x 3″ Chupacabra tires on Sun Duroc 50 SL rims, the 1120 is priced at $2,499.99.

trekbikes.com

36 comments

1. Dave on

I’ve got a trek 920 that I love, but I have found a few places that this would be better – specifically being able to tackle slightly gnarlier terrain. I kind of doubt they’ll get many of the hard core bikepackers to move to racks in favor of rackless, though, even if they do mimic the placement.

• NotJohn on

Totally agree on the rear rack, there’s just so many good seatbags out now. But that front rack looks like it has the potential to be more functional than a roll hanging off your bars and causing interference with cables/hoses. Fork mounts for anything cages or water bottle cages is a no brainer. More options is a good thing.

2. ascarlarkinyar on

The dropper post is confusing. No front suspension fork, so not gonna see super rocky decents, steep drops or jumps. Why would you want to lower the seat then?

Also a carbon frame and p1.18 pinion gearbox version would be better. Bring the weight and durability to complete with rival new bikes.

3. Haromania on

Bought a rigid Stache 5 a while back, so glad I did. 29+ rigid is the sweet spot for me, your mileage may vary, but I always wondered why they did away with the rigid after one year, unless I’m completely wrong and I didn’t see it in their line-up. Seemed like a really nice spec for the $$$, and it had Shimano disc’s on it!! I’ll take Deroe disc’s any day of the week over the other brand.

• Michael Myers on

Yeah. I’ve got a 5 that I upgraded to xtr, a dropper, and some carbon wheels, but I left it rigid.

It’s my favorite bike.

4. badbikemechanicx on

This is a super neat bike. It actually has soul. Perhaps taking a note from the Jones Spaceframe. As a ti guy I am surprised how far along Trek has come.

5. Steve on

Dropper post can make it easier getting on and off the bike, esp if its loaded!! Also going to a traditional rear rack vs mega saddle bag lowers cg to improve handling which again with a loaded bike is important. But im sure as with any new bike its not been properly tested in the enviroment its going to be used in so yes a carbon frame with pinon gearbox mega saddle bag formula brakes and suspension fork rolling on xc race size tyres would be much better for all….oooh wait this is a specialty/bikepacking/something different bike, sorry i thought it was another regular bike with orange racks and heavy wheels!

6. JBikes on

I feel this style of bike is the ultimate sales marketing tactic of selling ones day dreams of what they want to do, not what they actually do. Kinda like medication ads always show people hiking/kayaking/camping outside in beautiful weather. But nothing wrong with that. $2500 to buy your dreams, even if never realized, is cheap…and if it makes you happy that is all that really matters

• gringo on

While I think you may have a valid point, I sure wish more people would spend that 2500 clams on a bicycle and spend the next few years tooling it around the local forest and reading adventure blogs about folks riding in Mongolia, Sweden or where ever. Sure beats a generation of zombies whacked out on sleeping meds, stay-awake meds, anti depressants, pain pills, etc… bring on the prescription / therapy bikes!

• codyish on

My wife and I get invited to go on weekend bikepacking trips by our co-workers every single weekend from April through October. Maybe people aren’t trekking the Continental Divide, but we know as many people that spend their weekends doing this that spend their weekends racing.

• Chase on

Sort of my comment as well. How many actually do this? I don’t know of any here in California. Maybe its a Midwest or Rocky thing?

7. Bill on

I have the current carbon stache. It’s a super fun bike, unless it rains. Or the terrain is rough. Or any other reason I might want a tire that’s not the stock Chupacabra (which is great in snow and hard pack dirt xc trails).

All I really want, is a 3″ tire with some aggressive knobs like a Conti mountain king or something. Seems 29+ just sort of got relegated to the fat bike category and forgotten.

• Chris Babb on

Trek will also be selling the XR4 in a 29×3 as soon as November. I’ve gotten on really will with the Chupes but I have a friend who runs Minions front and back and absolutely loves them. The XR4 traditionally has rolled a bit faster (than minions) so once I wear out the stock tires I may consider going that direction.

8. Ultraorange on

Miss my stache 5, glad to see an iteration that is fully rigid. As for th price point it looks alright considering it will go anywhere like a monster truck. Do wish they had gone with drop bars or some alternative bars for touring. Now they need to slap that fork on their website so I can get a carbon stache and put that fork on it.

COMMENT HERE: (For best results, log in through Wordpress or your social media account. Anonymous/fake email comments may be unapproved or deleted. ALL first-time commenter's posts are held for moderation. Check our Comment Policy for full details.)