Bike brands are still trying to figure out how to broach the issue of online sales in a way that doesn’t hurt their dealers. On one hand, you pretty much have to have some form of online ordering these days – some consumers just expect it. But on the other hand, you don’t want to cut out your valued dealer network who has been supporting the brand for years.
For Norco, that has given rise to their Click and Collect online sales model. After a successful trial run in Canada only starting earlier this spring, Norco is now expanding the program to include the U.S.
Rather than ordering the bikes from Norco and getting them delivered to your house, with Click and Collect you select the nearest Norco dealer for the bike to be shipped to. They professionally assemble the bike, and get “margin share” deposited directly into their bank account – Norco points out here that it is not provided in product credit.
“Canadian Norco dealers are already seeing the positives of gaining new customers, margin share and walk-in traffic they would not have had previous to launch, and we are positive that US dealers will follow suit.” –
Then, the consumer after paying up front gets a notification about the bike when it ships, they can track it, and they get a notification when it’s built. The end result seems like a good way for a consumer to order a bike they might not find locally, and dealers to get a sale they might not get otherwise. Note that Norco allows dealers to set their own return policies, so if you’re planning on buying a bike you should check with the shop you’re planning to use first to make sure you know what the deal is if you order the wrong size. Not sure about the size? Probably still best to just head to your local dealer in the first place.
HERE’S HOW IT WORKS (From Norco’s website):
- To begin placing your order, find the bike you want to purchase and click the add to cart button on the bicycle product page.
- When you are ready to check out, click the check-out button at the bottom of the cart.
- After you click the check-out button, you will be directed to the Shipping Method Page where you will choose an Authorized Norco Dealer (close to your home address) who will receive your bike shipment, professionally assemble your bike and have it ready for you to pick up.
- Once you choose your local Authorized Norco Dealer, you will be prompted to enter your payment information.
- After your order is submitted and payment has been accepted, you will receive a confirmation email with a verification code. You will need the verification code to pick up your new bike from your chosen Norco dealer.
- Once your order leaves the Norco Warehouse, you will be emailed a tracking code you can use to track your shipment to your chosen dealer.
- When your dealer receives your new bicycle shipment, they will contact you to set up a time to come to the store and pick up your new professionally assembled bike.
Please note that to pick up your new Norco Bicycle from your chosen Authorized Norco Dealer, you must bring with you:
- A valid piece of ID.
- The credit card you used to purchase the bike online.
- The verification code which was sent to you in your order confirmation email.