Rapha asks us to get back on the bike, to #ChooseCycling – It started with support for a British Cycling campaign initiative dubbed #ChooseCycling. But as we all try to climb back out of a post-pandemic world, and now come face-to-face with more human inequities, Rapha gets behind the idea of bikes as a way to move forward. Bikes are there to help us move around in a more socially distanced way than say hopping on public transit, to get out and enjoy the fresh air riding outside. Plus, the long-established health benefits of regular exercise are always a good reason to choose cycling, especially at a time when we need to stay healthy.
The way Rapha is supporting the initiative is as simple as spreading the word about the benefits of cycling – telling the stories of people new to cycling and why they’ve recently chosen to ride a bike. But it’s also about “pushing for new measures that will help people and policymakers make the switch to cycling.”
Rapha says that many “funding and infrastructure pledges” have been made in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, but now is time to follow through by actually choosing to cycle to help make those pledges transition into real action.
Beyond the pandemic Rapha has solidified their commitment to diversity, inclusion & greater equality, as well. In recent years they have been one of few cycling companies to highlight those who have been marginalized in their advertising. As founder Simon Mottram put it, “there is much more Rapha can do to support diversity in a sport that is still too easily characterised as white, privileged and exclusive, and to foster equality as well as inclusion.”
In the long-term, The Rapha Foundation will be the brand’s platform to fund & support lasting cycling participation, with Rapha continuing to deliver up to $1.5m in grants to grassroots organizations every year. Looks like it’s time again to #ChooseCycling. Rapha.cc
The Cascade Bicycle Club is hosting the Peace Peloton on June 27 to support Black Owned businesses. The Peace Peloton rides started in Seattle to increase spending at Black-owned businesses. “We want to mobilize people on bicycles to do something right now,” says co-founder Reginald “Doc” Wilson, who sat down for an informative, and at times critical, Q&A with Cascade.
Where to ride & WIN!
- Rent an adventure vehicle & take your own MTB vacation this summer -Titus Adventure Company has a new vehicle rental program for mountain bikers to make it easy to get out, and away from the crowds. The Denver, CO company launched last summer with a full fleet of Toyota adventure rigs: affectionately known as Hank, Patsy, & Willie. The vehicles are completely overland-ready and can be picked up in Denver or delivered to a home, office or to the airport. With bike season upon us and bike sales at a record high nationwide, TAC rentals’ MTB package might just be the ticket for you to choose your own adventure. TACrentals.com
- RAGBRAI: Virtually the Best Bicycle Ride in the World – The oldest, largest, longest recreational bicycle ride in the world is going virtual. The last full week of July (19-25) the spirit of RAGBRAI lives on – in a weeklong virtual ride with daily ride challenges and prizes, the famous Karras (100 miles) loop, a Gravel loop, theme days, a celebration of the 100th anniversaries of the Iowa State Parks and 19th amendment, a live concert, virtual outlet tent, and more. Registered riders even receive virtually the best swag bag and access to exclusive perks throughout the week. Now’s your chance to ride across Iowa, from the comfort of home. RAGBRAI.com/virtuallythebest
- Ride virtually together & win! Scott Week X Zwift – SCOTT and ZWIFT tear down the barriers of cycling disciplines to bring together some of the biggest names in cycling in a week full of digital riding, challenges and competitions. The event series kicks off on Sunday June 21st – 5 pm CET with SCOTT’s big celebration group ride. Most of SCOTT sponsored riders from MTB, Tri and road will join for this celebration of two wheels in ZWIFT. From 22nd to 28th of June Zwifters will find several group ride opportunities with pro-led rides and workouts per day. Out of all the participants of this week full of riding with the Pros, there will be one lucky winner to call SCOTT’s latest state of the art roadbike, the Addict RC PRO, their own! Register here, then ride and win your new dreambike! Zwift.com
- The REEB Ranch is up for sale, and the bike park trails are closed – Asheville’s Citizen Times is reporting that the Oskar Blues Brewery’s REEB Ranch has been put up for sale for $5 million, including the 300-acre mountain biking park, camping site and event venue in Hendersonville, NC. The sale seems to be a personal decision or the family owners, separate from the operations of either the beer and bike brands.
- Rocky Mountain Bikes is recalling select alloy mountain bikes – 2018, 2019 and 2020 model year alloy Instinct, Instinct BC and Pipeline bikes are being recalled for safety reasons. A few incidents in the field along with further testing has confirmed the possibility that affected front triangles could crack which could lead to a separation of the head tube from the top tube. Get all the details at this link. Carbon models are not affected.