What’s better than Trek’s Madone SLR? How about a Madone SLR that’s lighter? Or one with a different bottom bracket? If either of those sound good to you, then you’ll want to check out the 2021 Madone SLR.

Trek Madone SLR gets lighter with new carbon fiber, also adds T47 bottom bracket

The SLR addition to the Madone name gives the indication that this isn’t your average Trek. In this case, the SLR moniker implies that this is the lighter race version of the 2021 Madone which relies on OCLV 800 Series carbon fiber to cut weight – a boost from the OCLV 700 used on the 2020 model. Not only is it lighter, but Trek’s 800 Series carbon claims to be their highest performing carbon layup ever – resulting in a laminate that is 30% stronger and just as stiff. The frame itself is said to be 80g lighter thanks to the change in material.

Not light enough? You can also spec your Madone SLR through Project One just like team Trek-Segafredo would. Compared to the 2019 spec, the 2020 spec comes in at 450g lighter. That breaks down to 80g for the frame, 100g for the RSL 37 wheels, 160g for the Aeolus 1pc bar/stem, 50g for the Lightweight P1 Select Paint Scheme, and 60g for the new BB.

Yes, that would be a new T47 bottom bracket which seems to be slowly taking over Trek’s bottom bracket duties on new bikes.

Note that the 2021 rim brake Madone SLR frameset still uses BB90 however.

Otherwise, all of the 2021 Madone SLR models use disc brakes. Available in 6, 7, and 9 model levels, there are also two versions of both the 7 & 9 levels with standard or eTap builds. Pricing starts at $6,899.99 for the SLR 6, and tops out at $12,499.99 for either the SLR 9 or SLR 9 eTap.

That is of course, until you get into Project One builds which have the potential of even higher prices depending on your selected finish and build.

trekbikes.com

21 comments

1. Rapha on

It is kind of funny that you posted this the other day, but then had to take it down. I feel like it is Christmas Day, but I already know what I got.

2. rxpt on

The thing is like rolling advertisement haha. Think about this… You already paid a ridiculous amount of money, and they still get you to advertise for them. You actually have to pay even more(!) for Project One to get a more subtle look to it.

3. Hurricane on

In a time when it seems that most brands are making their bikes more subdued, some its even hard to spot the brand name on them, then TREK!!! does this. I think its a cool bike, but there is no way I would ride one because of that huge logo. Reduce the logo by 50% and maybe I’d consider one

• Shafty on

I’d never ride one of these, since I don’t race, but you have to take it in context. These aren’t made for riding around, they’re not made to look at, they’re made to be racing tools. As long as it performs, I don’t see the issue. If you’re plunking down for the top end version, spend extra for custom paint. A bit silly to look at a $12k bike and say “$500 more for a color I like is just too much”.

Custom bikes are great. It always feels nice to get exactly what you want. Even that wait is worth it.

• Miclaroc on

Actually they are made to look at – racing is all about advertising that’s the only reason brands like this sponsor teams.

4. GRobins on

The new carbon layup shaves 80g, is just as stiff, is 30% stronger and most importantly accommodates a 20% larger logo.

• n / a on

The original logo designer must be confused with emotions every time they see the bike on the road: whoa look at my logo being flaunted in public… Whoa look at that awful ratio of size vs product estate… But look how boldly it stands out in public… But also look how crudely it stands in public… But……

5. Doug Brown Jr. on

I am continually amazed how “some people” can so easily criticize other’s hard work when they could never accomplish anything even remotely as significant. Kudos to Trek (and then some) for all their hard work on their bikes.

6. MSoup on

My hands ain’t clapping. I find it difficult to applaud poor taste. There’s very good reason NASCAR teams use big logos, but exchanges of the money are usually involved. So, unless I’m getting a monthly check from TREK, I’d prefer a little more tasteful design templates on their road bikes.

7. Chris on

I love that the down tube wasn’t enough, they had to throw Trek on the top tube and the fork, just in case you weren’t sure. It’s like the guy that puts what kind of car he’s driving on his license plate. (My M5) on his BMW. Silliness!

• John on

@Chris: That’s what a team logo bike looks like.

At the Ui2 level, I think the Madone SL7 in alpine gloss blue has a great look with more normal-sized logo-ing.

Or at the high end, Trek’s SLR range is all available with customized colors/logo-ing in their Project One program.

8. Miclaroc on

Speak for yourself you have no idea what many of us “accomplish” lol I don’t understand why people like you whine when others voice their options. These bikes are hideous.

9. Brian on

It’s always nice to be reminded of what a bunch of dbs cyclist are. You may note that the large logos are only on the Team paint schemes. Go figure.

10. Daniel on

How can the new BB save 60g? Threaded T47 BB is lighter than bearings pressed directly into the carbon shell? Doesn’t make any sense to me.

COMMENT HERE: (For best results, log in through Wordpress or your social media account. Anonymous/fake email comments may be unapproved or deleted. ALL first-time commenter's posts are held for moderation. Check our Comment Policy for full details.)