- Empowering the next generation of female mountain bike shredders – While walking the grounds today at the 25th Annual Sea Otter Classic in Monterey, CA, I saw these little girls in matching jerseys rooting on the pro women’s short track cross country race. The young ladies are a part of The Little Bellas which is a mountain bike organization whose goal is to help young women realize their potential through cycling. After the short track race, the pros had a Q & A session with the Little Bellas at Primal Wear’s exhibit tent. (Primal Wear provides the jerseys to the Little Bellas) The future racers asked questions like “What do you do to get pumped up before a race?” and my favorite, “What’s your most embarrassing moment at a race?” where the answer involved jumping out of a port-a-potty naked. It’s great to see the current generation of pro women mentoring and sharing their passion, knowledge and good times with the future of women’s mountain biking. Visit littlebellas.com to find the program nearest to you.
More racing news and Sea Otter highlights after the break!
- Arno Wallaard Memorial Livestream – On the 18th of April, all eyes of the cycling community will be on the Dutch flats as the Arno Wallaard Memorial (UCI 1.2) takes place. Click on arnowallaardmemorial.nl for more information.
- Belted News: Schindelhauer and Gates Create Fixed Gear Race Team – Gates Carbon Drive and Schindelhauer Bikes have created the first belt-drive fixed gear race team, Schindelhauer-Gates, to compete in the popular Red Hook Crit series and other elite international track bike road racing events. See photos and action from their first Rad Race in Berlin on the Belted Blog.
- USA Cycling national criterium championships – Greenville, SC – Professional and amatuer racers from around the country will make their way to the Professional Criterium National Championships on Saturday, April 18th and Team Time Trial National Chapionships on Sunday, April 19th, in Greeville, South Carolina, where over 18 Stars-and-Stripes jerseys will be handed out. For more info on this weekend’s events in Greenville, visit USACycling.org.
- New Distribution for ANVL Components – ANVL Components has announced that BTI, Bicycle Technologies International will distribute their full line of components in the United States for 2015. ANVL Components is based out of the Pacific Northwest and focuses on lightweight and durable performance mountain bike components. See their full line of products at ANVLComponents.com.
- Worry-Free Bicycle Ownership – The company that brought you Velosurance which provides insurance policies allowing cyclists to insure their bikes for theft, physical loss, damage, and liability has now introduced Velocare. Velocare extends the manufacturer’s warranty by offering 3 to 5 years of worry-free riding. Visit Velocare.com for more information and protect your ride.
- Namibia Mountain Biking Safari Awarded Tour of a Lifetime by National Geographic Traveler – National Geographic Traveler revealed its distinguished ‘50 Tours of Lifetime’ collection featuring H+I Adventures’ Namibia Mountain Biking Safari. The twelve–day tour of a lifetime departs December 5, 2015, April 2, 2016 and September 17, 2016. For more information, visit mountainbikeworldwide.com or call 1-888-228-5035.
- Save 40% off Velocite RT50 carbon wheels until May 12th – Designed by Science – The second generation Velocite RT50 aero road tubeless and standard clincher tire compatible wheels are a product of two years of research and development and rider feedback. Visit velocity-bikes.com for more details.