- Official national bicycle network expands to 8,992 miles – Adventure Cycling Association and the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) today announced that AASHTO has approved 919 miles of new U.S. Bicycle Routes (USBRs): USBR 10 in Idaho and USBR 70 and 79 in Utah. The U.S. Bicycle Route System (USBRS) now encompasses 8,992 miles of routes in eighteen states and the District of Columbia. Learn more at adventurecycling.org/usbrs.
- Gran Fondo Hincapie | Last chance to save up to $25 on registration – Sign up to ride on October 24, 2015 with George Hincapie, professional cyclists, and cycling enthusiasts from around the globe. Early Bird registration ends on May 31st so register now to save some dough.
- Bike Georgia’s Antebellum Trail – Professionally-mapped bike trail winds through seven historic towns east and south of Atlanta. The towns that comprise Georgia’s Antebellum Trail recently worked together to create a new way to explore the trail with a 170-mile bicycle route that winds through a collection of Georgia’s most beautiful antebellum towns. The route has been designed by professional cycling planners at Georgia Bicycle Adventures to include the lowest traffic roadway options in the region and allows cyclists to explore the history and scenic landscapes of the state while still being active. Interactive cue sheets are available online at AntebellumTrail.org and BikeAntebellum.com.
Racing & Events
- Winston-Salem Cycling Classic – On May 30th and 31st, Enjoy a wide variety of biking activities for all ages and abilities during May’s National Bike Month celebration in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The Winston-Salem Cycling Classic, a USA Cycling sanctioned event with a total purse of approximately $50,000, will take place May 30 and 31, 2015, in downtown Winston-Salem and surrounding areas. The Winston-Salem Cycling Classic is one of the seven coveted National Racing Calendar (NRC) professional road races in North America, and the only NRC and UCI race in the Southeast. winstonsalemcycling.com
- 2015 UCI Mountain Bike World Cup presented by Shimano // Albstadt, Germany – The German venue organises an XCO round of the UCI World Cup for the third time since it first joined the calendar in 2013. Watch it LIVE on RedBullTV or on the UCI website on Sunday May 31st.
- VP Endurofest at China Peak – Thanks to continued support from Kali Protectives as well as recent support from Slime, VP Endurofest has re-opened registration and is offering 50 more spots. VP EnduroFest is presented by VP Components and takes place the weekend of June 27th-28th. Registration for VP Endurofest will open on May 31st and since there are only 50 spots available it will sell out fast! For more information or to register go to: vp-usa.com/enduro
- 6th Annual Beti Bike Bash presented by Stan’s NoTubes – New Venue – New Course – Same Excitement – The 6th Annual Beti Bike Bash presented by Stan’s NoTubes will showcase a brand new venue and courses at the Phillip S. Miller Park in Castle Rock, Colo. on June 13-14, 2015. Unprecedented rainfall and snow melt have caused Bear Creek Lake Park, the home of the Beti Bike Bash the last five years, to reach water levels near the record 2013 flood. For more details, visit betibikebash.com or contact email@example.com or 720-878-7363. Stay up to date at the Beti Bike Bash Facebook page and on Twitter.
- New Feature for Pioneer Power Meter Users – A new update of Pioneer power meter’s software, Cycle-Sphere has been released. The software now separates the data to show when you’re either standing or sitting. Cycle-Sphere.com
- Raleigh Releases First EBike with Shimano STEPS System – We first reported on Raleigh’s Misceo iE in January. Now Raleigh has just announced that it is available for purchase. The Misceo iE is designed to be the ultimate urban commuter. The technology of the STEPS system allows for pedal-assistance up to 20 miles per hour, an integrated mid-motor drive system and programmable system that automatically downshifts when stopped for an easy start. Learn more about Raleigh Bicycles and their 125+ year tradition at raleighusa.com.
- Looking for Abbey Bike tools in the UK? Cycleworx UK contacted us to let us know they just received the new BSA-30 Dual Sided BB Sockets and they are available now.
- New Bike Park Coming to Asheville, NC – The targeted opening date for Bailey Mountain Bike Park is some time in June 2015. They’re currently putting the finishing touches on their 140 acre facility which promises to be one of the best places to ride (year-round) in the Southeast. Visit baileymountainwnc.com for more information. We’ll be sure to post the opening date once we find out.
- Electra Bicycles Global Giveaway – Electra Bicycles has announced their first global bike giveaway entitled, “My City, My Loft”. The company is giving away bikes to city dwellers around the world. Not just any bike. The new Electra LoftTM. All participants have to do is submit a video explaining why they deserve a Loft and Electra will pick their favorites for the public to vote on later. The top-rated submissions will get a brand new Loft and a GoPro camera and mount to go with it. The winner will be asked to shoot some footage of them, their new ride and their city, then send it back to Electra. You can read more at mycitymyloft.com. Entries are being accepted until June 3.