Tools & Access
- Find Public Repair Stations Around the Globe – Minneapolis based Dero has put together an online mapping tool for cities, parks, universities, and bike advocacy groups to embed in their cycling and services sites to help cyclists find access to publicly available repair stands and tools. Dero has been cataloging coordinates for their Fixit stands, an the Fixit map continues to grow as the popularity of bicycling around the world increases. Currently, Dero Fixits can be found in Australia, Canada, Denmark, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States, including Puerto Rico.
Gear & Tech
- Voxwomen partners with Ass Savers and Dutch Pro Iris Slappendel for limited edition Mudguard – Voxwomen make women’s cycling accessible to everyone with insightful race reports and quirky snippets showing off the personalities of riders. The special edition Voxwomen Ass Saver was designed by Iris, and meant to help raise the profile of women’s cycling. The limited Ass Saver costs just €8 and can be purchased on their site here. Voxwomen is also launching a competition on its Facebook and Twitter pages to win one of the mudguards, signed by Iris. Check them out on Facebook or Twitter to enter.
- Who doesn’t need a little Punk Rock Action – Hurl over at Cars-R-Coffins just put up a pre-order for some nice special limited edition CRC x Giro DND gloves. Giro’s Down And Dirty is a simple no-nonsense glove that can take some abuse. Hop on now for $33 to get the gloves after the end of October.
- ENVE Now Shipping new Carbon Road Hub and SES 2.2 Tubeless Clinchers. – The new super light carbon hubs from Enve that we showed from Eurobike a month ago are now shipping built into their SES 2.2 tubeless rims for their take on the ultimate lightweight climbing wheel. The 1275g wheelset will set you back $3,500 and is available with Campagnolo or Shimano freehubs. Check them out at Enve.com.
Contests and Outreach
- YT Industries is looking for a fan to become their Rampage Reporter – They’re packing for Utah in the middle of October and on the lookout for a Fan-Correspondent to report on the Rampage via social media and keep the YT community up to speed on everything that goes down at the event. If this sounds like something for you, apply now via Facebook or email to: email@example.com. The deadline to enter is Oct 7. More information at YT-Industries.com.
- The Women’s Bike Mechanic Scholarship Program is back for a 3rd year – The scholarship was created with the recognition that the bike industry needs to reach out to more women and serve them more effectively, and is aimed at women who are aspiring or experienced bike mechanics as well as those looking to increase their technical knowledge to further their career in the cycling industry. It is funded by QBP, SRAM, RockShox, Park Tool, and United Bicycle Institute (UBI), along with Gold level sponsors Jagwire, Saris, Michelin, Surly Bikes, and Liv and Silver sponsors Ergon, and Dero. 16 recipients will receive a full tuition scholarship + lodging to attend UBI’s Professional Shop Repair and Operations Workshop from Feb 29-Mar 11. Applicants must be currently employed at a bike shop, at least 18 years old, a U.S. resident, and must be woman-identifying. Interested parties can apply at qbp.com/womensscholarship until Oct 31. Winners will be announced on Jan 8, 2016.
- 10 Annual Brompton Worlds took on the Cobbles and Climbs of Richmond 2015 – It’s only happens every so often that racers in suits and ties take on the UCI World Road Championship course. US Brompton owners went head to head in the United States leg of the Brompton World Championship series, with the winner getting a flight to London to compete in the final next year. Competitors dress in suit jackets and ties, and when the start gun goes off the formally clad racers run to unfold their Bromptons before racing wheel-to-wheel to the line. The men’s win was taken by David Mackay, originally of South Africa but now residing in Brooklyn, NY with Elspeth Huyett of Pennsylvania taking the women’s title. For more info on the Brompton World Champs USA, visit brompton.com/bwcusa.
- San Juan Huts Bike Fall Special – Join San Juan Huts for an amazing biking adventure where you and a group ride from hut-to-hut with beds ready and the pantry stocked as you arrive in each backcountry cabin. They’re offering discount on all trips booked and prepaid next Tue/Wed (Oct 6&7), with deals like: 8 for the price of 5 $560/rider, 4 for the price of 3 $671/rider, and single rider specials. Check out their Durango to Moab, Durango to Paradox, Telluride to Moab, and Telluride to Gateway trips over at SanJuanHuts.com.
- Finale Ligure hosts last Enduro World Series race of 2015 this weekend – The final round of the EWS goes down October 2-5 in Finale Ligure, consisting of 6 special stages for a total length of 114.4km, 2910m of climbing and 2536m of vertical drop. The whole area around Finale is getting in on the event, from the crowded and colorful paddock and expo area of FLOW with some of the biggest companies in the industry, the spectators will be able to move directly on the stages to watch and cheer some of the fastest riders in the world descending on the trails of Finale.
- Party with Northwave and Cedric Gracia – If you are going to Finale Ligure for the EWS, you might as well enjoy it. On Saturday night from 6pm Northwave is hosting an end of the year party at their booth in the expo area and promised, and i’ll quote them “FREE BEER FOR ALL!!!” Have fun.
- KMC Cross Fest in Providence this weekend gets an All-Star Live Webcast – They’ve enlisted Emmy winning director Kent Gordis, veteran commentator Jeff Rickard, and 6x National Champ Tim Johnson to deliver live coverage for the race in Roger Williams Park. Broadcast of the men’s and women’s UCI Category 1 Providence International starts at 3:15pm ET Saturday, October 3. Look for it on kmccrossfest.com.
- Chrome Celebrates 20 Years with 7 City Music, Art, & Design Tour – Beginning at its New York City on Oct 7, Chrome will host events at each of its regional retail HUBS, celebrating two decades of loyal support from, and service to, an urban cycling culture. Each event will celebrate the unique urban culture of that city and showcase local musicians, artists, designers, food purveyors and of course, cyclists, that collectively form the Chrome identity. Find out more and see the schedule which runs through the end of October at ChromeIndustries.com.
- Red Bull Joyride Airs Saturday on NBC, 2:30PM ET – Watch the mountain bike slopestyle action from Whistler as part of the Red Bull Signature Series this weekend. A one-and-a-half hour TV special on Red Bull Joyride, Canada’s premier mountain bike slopestyle competition, will air on NBC fusing elements of slopestyle, dirt jump, and North Shore-style mountain biking, via Whistler’s natural terrain with gravity-fed, man-made features.
- October Heats Up in Moab as the Weather Cools Off – With fall comes cool enough temps for a longer ride, a long run, longer climb, not weighed down by hauling so much water in the desert. Check out whats in store:
Ride next year’s bike models at Outerbike Oct 2-4
Watch sport films at Radical Reels Oct 10
Adventure Racing Finale of multiple sports in one race Oct 10-11
Mountain Bike Stage Race with TransRockies Oct 10-12
Reel Rock 10 featuring climbing on film Oct 17 & 20
The Other Half finishes at Sorrel River Ranch, a little more challenging than the spring Half Marathon Oct 18
The Annual Moab Ho-Down has a costume party, dirt jumping, MTB Film, Enduro race, ladies’ skill camp, Town Bike Tour, great fun with Chile Pepper Oct 22-25
And the NEW Moab Epic, an XC mountain bike race of either 20 or 50 miles in length Oct 24
- Join Jenson USA’s hospitality at Outerbike – It’s already begun. Get down to Moab for three days of slickrock test rides on the year’s new products. Jenson will be doling out coffee to keep everyone going and will have a tent full of new bike they carry ready to demo on Moab’s iconic trails. They’ll have the new Spot Rollik, plus 6 Yetis with the new Di2 XTR, among many others. Feel like competing Jenson will also host a Happy Hour Foot Down Contest at 4:00pm today, tomorrow, and Sunday. Plus there will be plenty of schwag to win including: a new Spot Rocker from Spot Bike, the latest GoPro, an Industry Nine Trail S 27.5 wheelset, a special prize to be unveiled by Shimano, and too many more to list. Close the internet and drive to Outerbike now.