- WTB Partners with XPDNT3 Explorers for 3-day trips across the globe – Back when 3T introduced their new aero gravel adventure bike – the Exploro – earlier this summer, they also teased a new XPDTN3 club project. The idea was to head out and map adventure rides around the world, so everyday riders could see how close they were to real adventures. The project started off with well-known brand ambassador Magnus Backstedt, but the idea was always to lay some ground work to open it up for anyone to head out on a trip then report back on the adventure to open it up for more people to experience. WTB was there from the beginning putting Road+ and Gravel+ tires to work, but now they are formally a partner on the project extending to saddles as well. The impetus behind the XPDTN3 explorer club… “We love bike expeditions. But like most of you, we don’t have the time for 5 weeks in Mongolia or 3 months in Peru. So we started the XPDTN3 club, packing as much bike adventure as possible into 3 days.” The deal is all about sharing amazing stories, photos, places to ride and videos. The photo above is just a tiny teaser, and we’ll be sure to get into some more detail on these adventures in the future. For now, check them out the club and the growing list of trips from the Westfjords of Iceland, to the US’s Idaho Hot Springs route, all at: XPDTN3.Club…
Weekend of racing
- Red Bull Last Stand brings Crit Racing to The Alamo this weekend – On Saturday hundreds of the fastest riders from all over the country will take to the streets in San Antonio on the famous Alamo Plaza in the latest of Red Bull’s Last Stand criterium road races. The race is slated to give an overhaul to the typical crit race, with an eliminator format, knocking out the last rider to cross the finish line each lap, until just one racer remains to take their final victory lap. The night-time races on the flat and technical 1/2 mile course with 9 turns will be free for all spectators, with great views set up of the iconic Alamo Plaza.Fixed gear women kick off the racing at 5pm, followed by the fixed men at 6pm. Then the main events of the geared women kick off at 7pm, with the geared men the last to toe the line at 8pm. More info at: LastStand.splashthat.com. Check out a teaser video after the jump…
- So, the real question here is, why wasn’t anyone doing the slip ‘n’ slide down the muddy hill? Seems like that would’ve been faster… #cyclocross
- 100+ cyclists & 6 US Paralympians take on Challenged Athletes Foundation Million Dollar Cycling Challenge starting this weekend – They start out with the Ride Out Event on Saturday the 15, led by NBA Hall of Famer Bill Walton. From October 15-21, they’ll ride the 620-mile journey down the California coastline from San Francisco to San Diego. The Ride Out kick off event starts out early this Saturday from 7:30 am at the Hyatt Centric Fisherman’s Warf. This whole deal is an exclusive and fully supported ride that includes stops in California’s most stunning coastal towns. More details at: ChallengedAthletes.org
- QBP donates $100,000 to trail center in Minneapolis – Bike distributer Quality Bicycle Products has ponied up a hundred grand for the new trailhead at Theodore Wirth Park, a trailhead and Welcome Center project near the center of town in Minneapolis, MN. Together with the Loppet Foundation who supports both cross country ski events in the winter and a trips for kids mountain bike program in the summer, the new project hopes to improve access to healthy outdoor recreation for those in the city with a new trailhead facility offering bike & ski rentals, a couple of skills parks, a permanent cross course, and a learning center.
Gear & Industry News
- Velocity to centralize all of production and distribution to Michigan HQ – After 5 years of rim production in Jacksonville, FL, Velocity is moving all rim manufacturing and distribution to their world headquarters in Grand Rapids, MI. As they enter their 25th year, the brothers who run the company are happy to see the growth and return of American made bicycle products. The move is expected to cut product delivery times and bring more specialized factory jobs to Grand Rapids, along side their current distribution and wheel building facility. VelocityUSA.com
- Volagi Cycles co-founder Choi starting to recover after recent collision – A couple of weeks ago Volagi Cycles co-founder Robert Choi was involved in a collision with a car. a week ago. Choi suffered a head injury after being hit from behind near his company’s HQ in Ogden, UT. After thinking he was fine, he returned to the office, only to be be found unconscious some time later. Following emergency surgery, and a coma for some days, he is said to be finally improving. With a long recovery ahead, friends and family have set up a GoFundMe page to help support his recovery: GoFundMe.com/RCroad2recovery.
- Like Waffles? Like Pumpkin? Trek’s in-house chef shares his recipe for pocket-sized pumpkin waffles to fuel your next ride.