Bike thieves suck. No matter the lock, it seems there’s always a chance of someone making off with your bike. To prevent that, companies like Kryptonite offer a range of locks that in most cases will keep your bike safe. As a bit of extra protection, Kryptonite has offered their Anti Theft Protection Offer since 1978 – a subscription based program that will get you some of the cost back if your bike should be stolen while using a Kryptonite product.
Now, the program is expanding to include even more countries and offer higher dollar amounts for replacement values depending on the lock model. You still have to register for the program within 30 days of purchasing your lock and there are a number of requirements for reimbursement, but in the event of a theft the possibility of getting any money back without bicycle theft insurance could be a huge benefit. Now covering 29 countries, the program is better than ever and may help you get up to $5,000 back if you use the highest security locks…
While the program is very enticing, one of the biggest catches seems to be the fact that you have to at least have a picture of the broken lock, and Kryptonite may request the actual lock. I know a number of people who haven’t found the lock after their bike was stolen, which could result in Kryptonite denying the claim. We’ve been told that most often thieves will throw the broken lock in the bushes, behind a dumpster, or generally out of the way not far from where the bike was locked up. So if your bike is stolen remember to take the time and look for the lock nearby!
- ATPO is an optional program that a customer MUST register for if he or she purchases a lock that offers the program
- If eligible (based on the programs terms and conditions), Kryptonite will reimburse the base cost of the bicycle/motorcycle excluding tax and accessories in accordance with the specific maximum amounts listed under the program, or excess if it applies
- Available to more customers around the world
- Additional coverage – up to 5 years
- More coverage – Up to: $5,000 / Euro 4,500 / £3,000 (bicycle) $2,000 / Euro 1,750 / £1,250 (powersport)
- Registration costs will range from just $9.99 for a year to $29.99 for five years
- High and Ultimate security products continue to be free for one year
- New web registration and claim filing process for customers direct from Kryptonite website