While fixies are fun, simple and easy to maintain there are times when it pays to have a few gears at hand. While they’re adamant that they aren’t trying to ‘fix’ anything, Milwaukee, Wisconsin’s Fyxation has released a conversion kit that adds a six-speed drivetrain to your 120mm spaced frame.
The crew at Fyxation are clearly single-speed enthusiasts, but options are always good. The conversion kits are intended for fixed gear or track bike riders who want to give their knees a break, have hilly terrain to contend with, or for anyone who has a fixie that they like and fits well but would happily accept a bit more versatility. Bikerumor first previewed the Six Fyx conversion at Interbike in 2013, but the kits have just recently become available to consumers.
Shift down below the break for more photos, specs and info…
The functional bits of the conversion kit include Fyxation’s proprietary 120mm 32 hole bolt-on cassette hub, rear derailleur, a derailleur hanger that works with track ends or horizontal dropouts, bar end shifter, six speed cassette (12-26t), 46t front sprocket and a cable with housing. Also included are finishing touches like a chain guide and cable guide clamps for your down tube and chainstay.
The kit is also available with a complete rear Fyxation wheel, if you’re okay with the color black and don’t want to rebuild one of your existing hoops. In either kit, the one piece you have to supply yourself is a nine-speed chain. Also, you can substitute any 9-speed shifter if you don’t like the fit or feel of the supplied unit.
The conversion kit is designed to work with nearly any 120mm spaced track or fixed gear bike. The Hub-Only Kit sells for $250 USD and the Complete Wheel Kit for $300, and both can be purchased on Fyxation’s website.
– 120mm bolt on hub (32 hole) with six speed cassette body
– Six speed cassette (range 12 – 26)
– 46t sprocket
– Rear derailleur
– Indexed bar end shifter (rider can substitute their own 9 speed compatible shifter if needed)
– Derailleur hanger for horizontal dropout
– Inner chain guide
– Steel cable clips for down tube
– Cable guides for chainstay
– Cable and housing
– Configuration 1 – all parts and hub so you can build your own wheel
– Configuration 2 – complete black wheel laced to our hub and all parts
– 120mm bolt on hub to fit with most traditional track frames
– Removable derailleur hanger that fits in traditional horizontal track dropout
– 6 speed cassette with range of 12 – 26t
– 130 BCD
– 9 speed chain compatible (chain not included)