- Inspired to Ride Still on the Big Screen – Inspired to Ride, the film that documented participants in the inaugural Trans Am Bike Race, has been screened in over 25 theaters the past few months. And events are still coming together. Visit inspiredtoride.it for screening dates.
- Tour de France 2015 – This is turning out to be a fabulous Tour. Chris Froome will undoubtedly be attacked on Saturday’s climbs as his overall lead was shortened to 2:38 over Nairo Quintana during Friday’s stage. Look for an epic battle tomorrow on the slopes of Alpe d’huez. Visit NBCSports.com/cycling in the USA if you want to watch it live. The official site of Le Tour is LeTour.com.
- The Evolution of the Bicycle – The Visit Isle of Man website has created an infographic called The Evolution of the Bicycle. With the Tour de France approaching its epic climax, this feature explores the history of the bicycle, and chronicles its rise from a pedal-less, handle-less, saddle-less contraption to the modern bike that we all know and love.
- 2015 North American Unicycling Convention and Championships – The Madison Area Sports Commission (MASC) together with Madison Unicyclists Inc. (MadUni) are pleased to welcome the 2015 North American Unicycling Convention and Championships (NAUCC) to Madison this July 25 – August 1. Watch top national competitors throw down gravity defying tricks, play floor hockey, and race in a marathon–all on one wheel!–when hundreds of U.S. and Canadian unicyclists converge in Madison for this out-of-the-box athletic event. Visit uninationals2015.com for the full schedule of events.
- Take on Africa’s Second Highest Mountain in the Mt. Kenya Epik – The inaugural Mt. Kenya Epik will take place November 22nd to 28th 2015. Led by Kenyan cycling legend and Chris Froom’s first mentor, Mr. David Kinjah, and Kenyan Olympic gold medalist runner Mr. Douglas Wakihuri, the Mt. Kenya Epik is calling for adventurous cyclists and runners from around the world to take on Africa’s second highest mountain. For more information and to enter the Mt. Kenya Epik simply visit: mtkenyaepik.co.ke.
- Nominations Are Now Open for Adventure Cycling Association’s 11th Annual Bicycle Travel Awards – Celebrating the heroes of bicycle travel in the U.S., Adventure Cycling’s awards include the Pacesetter Bicycle Travel Award, June Curry Trail Angel Award, Sam Braxton Bike Shop Award, and the Adventure Cycling Volunteer of the Year Award. Nominations for the 2015 awards will be accepted through September 30, 2015. For further details, visit adventurecycling.org/awards, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact Lisa McKinney at 800-755-2453, ext. 219.
Clothing Gear & Tools
- Cycology Releases New T-Shirt Designs – Last month Cyclogy Gear released several new T-shirt designs for men and women. Check out their unique Ts, hoodies, caps, bags and accessories and take advantage of their FREE worldwide shipping. cycologygear.com
- Parisian Cyclists Now Allowed to Jump Red Lights – Cyclists in Paris, France are now allowed to “jump” red lights. Many Parisians on bicycles do it anyway but a recent study has determined that the practice does not create more accidents. Here’s more on the story at Cycling Weekly.
- 718 Cyclery First-Ever Cargo Bike Rodeo Community Event – On Saturday, August 22nd, 718 Cyclery in Park Slope, the largest supplier of cargo bikes in New York City, will host NYC’s First-Ever Cargo Bike Rodeo from 9am to 6pm. The event will include a cargo bike race, raffle and free BBQ lunch, as well as a group test ride on the streets of Gowanus. 718 Cyclery will be raffling off a 2015 Yuba Mundo. Raffle tickets are $10, available online and in-store, and proceeds will go to Transportation Alternatives. There will also be cargo bike maintenance and service demonstration. Bikes from all major cargo bike manufacturers will be available to test ride and purchase, including traditional models and electric-assist versions.
- Will you take on the Sufferlandria National Day challenge? – It’s that most GLORIOUS time of year. If you’ve noticed the stirrings of a patriotic thunder, felt the urge to belt out a few refrains of our National Anthem ‘Gotta Suffer‘ … then it’s because Sufferlandrian National Day approaches. This year, SUFDAY is 23rd of August. Celebrate Sufferlandia through epic suffering with the Official Challenge or your own diabolical feat. Join the SUFDAY event on Facebook.
- Cam Zink Clinic/ Ride Along at Mammoth – Cam Zink – The of world record backflip fame – will be hosting a MTB clinic this Saturday (July 25) at Mammoth, focusing on technical freeriding and jumping. There are a couple options for participation, including by session ($69), for the whole day ($119), or during the freeride session at the end of the day (Free!) There’s only a couple spots left so if interested make sure you lock in your spot sooner than later. Schedule: Saturday, July 25
Morning session 1: Jumps on Recoil, Twilight Zone and Pipeline, 10a – 12:30p
Break: Lunch, 12:30p – 1:30p
Afternoon session 2: Downhill technical and freeride on Velocity, Flow & Chainsmoke, 1:30p-4p
Freeride session from 4:15 – 6:30. Free with your bike park ticket or pass, meet at the adventure center at 4p to lap out with Cam on a few of his favorite trails.
Register: Call 800-MAMMOTH
- Win Bikes for Your Company – Pure Fix is looking to to get companies and their talented employees riding with Pure Business Cycles. They’ve built 450 bikes for companies like Facebook and LinkedIn and they want to spread the love to your company. To enter, you need to make a video explaining why your company needs bikes and how it would improve the work style and lives of the employees. Visit purebusinesscycles.com for more details.
- Reader Surveys Close on Sunday – This week Jenson USA sponsored three surveys. They’re giving away one of the following items to three lucky entrants who complete the surveys: Pearl Izumi Select Jenson Logo Jersey – Giro Aspect Helmet – Continental Grand Prix 4000 S II Tires
- Beeline Bikes Announces Financing from Backcountry.com – Beeline Bikes,The Mobile Bike Shop,today announced that it closed a $2.6M Series A financing round led by Backcountry.com, LLC (“Backcountry”), one of the largest online specialty retailers of outdoor gear and apparel and operator of Competitive Cyclist. With the investment, Beeline Bikes will expand its fleet of “We Come to You” mobile bike shops across the United States using a franchise model, and continue to provide a convenient, customer-friendly channel in the bicycle industry. beelinebikes.com