Wolf Tooth Components turned up with a full range of high-quality, sealed bearing headsets made in the US. Built for all weather conditions, WTC spent the last two years developing their own lip seals and dialing in tight-tolerance manufacturing to create their new modular Precision Headsets.
The CNC-machined aluminum cups house Enduro stainless steel cartridge bearings and get covered with custom top & bottom lip seals to keep contamination out. The headsets then get a unique combined top cap & headset spacer for a clean look and light weight.
Why make headsets? “If you want colors, it’s kinda hard to find a premium headset other than Chris King,” said Mike Pfeiffer, Wolf Tooth Component’s president. “And we wanted to have a premium option that was also affordable.”
What sets them apart are the sealing, three different spacer heights, and their 5mm top cap that makes it easier to leave the right amount of steerer tube length. And they’re packing Enduro stainless steel bearings inside.
- Custom-molded upper lip seal provides additional protection for upper bearing
- Custom-molded dual lip crown race seal to protect lower bearing in the toughest conditions
- O-ring steerer tube seal to prevent water intrusion.
- Enduro sealed stainless steel bearings top and bottom.
- Upper cup headset top covers available in 5, 15, & 25 mm stack heights for a clean, no-spacer look
- Available anodized in black, silver, red, blue, green, orange, purple & gold
- All top cup assemblies include signature Wolf Tooth 5mm stem cap, aluminum preload bolt, and star nut.
- Designed and manufactured entirely in Minneapolis, Minnesota in the USA
Sizing, Pricing & Availability
The headsets are sold in modular designs so you pick and choose what you need for most standards. Complete headsets start at $100 – $40-55 for a lower cup, plus $60-65 for upper cups. Versions are available for straight and tapered external cup headtubes, and taper Zero Stack designs. Integrated headset versions are in the works.
Nicely machined, matching headset spacers are also available, staring at $5-7 for individual spacers 3-30mm tall, up to $18 for a four-piece 33mm tall kit. You can also get the unique top assembly with a spacer set separately to add a bit of color to your bike for $30.
Matching Installation Tools
To install the new headsets, they recommend their Crown Race install Nose. It’s designed to fit on Park Tool crown race tools, using a rubber O-ring to hold it in place, and perfectly match the bezel of the headset. This ensures a clean installation without damaging the flexible seal on the race.
B-RAD Gets Lighter
Their B-Rad attachment plates still expand your cargo capacity, but get streamlined to save about 30% of the weight. Note the additional machining on the right side items compared to the similarly positioned items on their left. Functionality is the same, as is the price, they’re just lighter.