Detour NOW to win a Japanese Odyssey w/ Ritchey, Apidura & 7mesh – The Detour competition could be described as a mission to find riders, adventurers & creators across all art forms who document their travels by bike. The judges are looking to find paintings, photographs, illustrations, poems, films, songs, or whatever that express the spirit of adventure by bike.
You only have until this weekend – Aug 19, 2018 – to submit your application to the online gallery, so ACT FAST! A panel of judges will pick the best entry, and the winner will get to ride the Japanese Odyssey, an unsupported bicycle journey across Japan. Starting from Tokyo this Oct 31, the fourth edition of this adventure allows riders to choose their own path through twelve checkpoints – deep into dense forests, through neon cities, and finishing back in Tokyo. As an endurance cycling event with no stopwatch, the emphasis is on exploration and appreciation rather than speed, though riders must complete the 2,600km route within ten days. Gee the full details and enter to win NOW at: Detour-Odyssey.com
Where to Ride
- Celebrate 30 years of IMBA in Bentonville, AR this Oct 26-28 – For one weekend this fall, IMBA is taking over Bentonville to celebrate their 30th anniversary and properly acknowledge the people who have made great places to ride happen over the past 30 years. Join them to honor their historical community stewardship successes, to celebrate where mountain biking is currently, and witness the great things to come in the future. The whole Dirty 30 deal is organized together with Outerbike Bentonville, with four access passes to choose from with varying levels of bike demos, shuttles, food and venue access, plus the big Saturday night party. Get the full details at: IMBA.com.
- Last chance to join Team Dimension Data Zwift Academy – The window of opportunity to join this season’s pro coach developed Zwift Academy training camp with Team Dimension Data is coming to a close. Register by August 19, 2018, 11:59 pm PDT to start getting fitter. You still have until Sep 30 to finish all the rides. Earn exclusive Zwift Academy kit along the way, and if you’re a U23 rider compete to get a pro team contract! Zwift.com
Advocacy & Industry News
- Velo Malaysia bikepacking travel film premiering in London & Bristol – Three riders took on a 1,000 mile adventure ride through Malaysia, discovering mountains, deep rainforest, searing heat, beautiful coastline, and some of the kindest people to grace this planet. Follow Tim, Jack, and Tom on their second adventure in the ‘Velo’ series in the new Friction Collective film premiering in London Aug 28 at 19:00 at Look Mum No Hands & Bristol Sep 4 at 19:00 at Spoke and Stringer, with the full film getting its public release September 5th.
Gear & Special Deals
- Hone you bikepacking cooking skills with Outside is Free – Many cyclists enjoy great food as much as a great ride. Henrik Orre put together this cookbook of simple meals that you can recreate at basecamp or even at home. Follow Henrik on his gravel adventures as he offers cooking on the go tips, even on-the-go coffee brewing secrets. The $30 backcountry ready cookbook comes in a protective bag, with a lightweight spork, and is available in the US exclusively from ENVE.com.
- Get a free stem with a Box’s BMX Hex Lab carbon bar – Box Components who we mountain bikers know most for their Box One 1x mountain drivetrains, also has a pretty killer carbon Hex Lab BMX race handlebar for small racers. If you buy one of the $130 carbon BMX bars from them now, they’ll toss in a $80 value alloy stem for free. BoxComponents.com
- Mission Seconds & Samples Sale this Sat in San Fran – Join Mission Workshop on Saturday Aug 18 from 9am-4pm in the 541 Valencia St., San Francisco store only to scoop up gear at big discounts. They’ll be unloading tons of prototypes, photo samples, and factory seconds that are just looking for a good home. MissionWorkshop.com
- Save 40% off on Sweet Protection bike wear and body protection – Their online store has been fully updated with new goodies from the summer collection. And with that you can save 40-50% off carry-over bike apparel and protection while it’s still in stock. SweetProtection.com