If you have a young mountain biker itching for an upgrade, SDG might have a solution with their new kid-sized SDG Jr Pro Kit. After something like twenty years putting saddles under mountain bike legends like Cam Zink & Eric Porter, it’s time to outfit their kids’ bikes now.
It’s often a struggle for cyclist parents looking to get their kids on quality mountain bikes & components. But now that some of the pioneers of our sport are raising kids too, they’re helping fill in some gaps.
SDG Jr Pro Kit kid-sized contact point components
The new SDG Jr Pro Kit is a unique setup, an all-in-one contact points kit that will put your little shredders on a saddle, bar, grips & pedals setup that is scaled down for their size, but not dialed back in quality or performance. What you get is a one stop $150 kit that will add a cool, custom look to your young mountain biker’s setup, and give them a better fit. (Typically for kids 6 years old & up, and riding 18″ to 24″ bikes.)
Many riders like Cam Zink have been on SDG components since their start in the sport, so it made sense for him to get his young daughter on a SDG setup too. “With SDG pretty much being the only saddles I’ve run my whole career, it’s the coolest thing ever to pass on that heritage and that authenticity to my kids. With the JR PRO KIT, she gets skinnier diameter bars and grips, matching pedals and an amazing SDG seat to match it all“, says Zink. And the fact that it drops a touch of pink across her bike doesn’t hurt.
SDG Jr Pro – Fly Jr saddle
Being a saddle company first, the Fly Jr seat has actually been in the SDG lineup since 2014, getting solid OEM spec over those years on premium kids’ bikes (and selling for $40 on its own). Much more than a heavy BMX seat, it’s a proper high-quality padded trail bike saddle that fits kids.
• ergonomically shorter & narrower to fit smaller sit bones
• Slight Rear Rise design for proper pelvis rotation & upright pedaling support
• ample padding, central recess & flat nose for comfort from front to back
• synthetic top with durable Cordura sides to survive use & abuse
• 235mm x 122mm, steel rails, 270g
SDG Jr Pro – Slater 90 pedal
The Slater pedals are a scaled down small platform to fit kid-sized feet. The use a durable nylon body, but with proper replaceable steel pins for traction and quality, serviceable bushings. Nothing like a disposable plastic pedal, but not part of a whole kit that costs less than some premium alloy pedals.
• compact 90x90mm, 18mm thin nylon composite pedal body with molded grip
• chromoly steel axle with sealed & serviceable DU bushings
• 2mm bottom loaded, replaceable steel traction pins, 6 per side
• replacement parts & other aggressive pins available from SDG
SDG Jr Pro – Slater 60 bar & Slater Jr grips
Kids grips are often just as big around as adult grips which is crazy. So SDG made their own handlebar that tapers down to 19mm (instead of the standard 22.2mm) to get the grips thinner too, down to 25-26mm outside diameter. The small rise 6061 alloy bar uses a 31.8mm clamp and is 650mm wide, and can be cut to size for the smallest riders if needed. On top of that you get dual density, single lock-on grips with a soft, grippy SDG logo pattern.
• made of 6061 sandblasted aluminum, with scaled down walls for performance youth
• 650mm wide, 20mm rise, 8° back, 5° upsweep, 31.8mm clamp, 19mm grip surface
• ONLY works with 19mm grips, ie. the included Slater Jrs
• kit includes 4x 15mm nylon shims to mount standard shift & brake levers
• 1-piece dual density with single integrated lock-on
• tapered & slotted inner core for max grip onto the bar/no slippage
• plush SDG logo pattern combining max grip & vibration dampening
• 19mm ID size fits ONLY 19mm bars, ie. the included Slater 60
• 115mm long, 25-26mm OD, 55g
The Jr Pro Kit is available now directly from SDG for $150 in four colors: black, cyan, green & pink. Outside of the saddle, the kids’ Jr Pro components are not currently available on their own, although SDG has promised that replacement grips will be offered separately, as will replacement bushings & pins for the pedals.