Want to get away, but don’t have the space or cash for a Sprinter van? Escapod has you covered with their unique teardrop-shaped camping trailers, starting at just $16,500. They’re made in the USA and can be customized to sleep the whole family, cook great meals, and even tackle some decent off-road trails.
Vanlife: Escapod 2019 TOPO Series teardrop camping and adventure trailer
Escapod (say “ess-cuh-pod”) is a Utah-based manufacturer offering innovative, lightweight, and very capable camping trailers. This isn’t the first time we’ve seen the concept for high-end trailers, but it is perhaps the most complete – especially at this price.
The base of the TOPO series trailer is a 2×4 wood frame with 1.5-inch insulation, which is bolted to a steel frame with waterproof RV undercarriage. The walls are constructed of 3/4 inch exterior grade plywood with 3/4-inch insulation, and wrapped in .050 aluminum.
Overall length for the Escapod from end-to-end is 13 feet. It’s 7 feet wide including fenders, and 6.5 feet tall. The interior cabin measures 9.5 ft long x 5 ft wide x 4 ft tall. Standover clearance is an impressive 18 inches, using the standard torsion axle system and 265/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT tires.
The interior is made of pre-finished baltic birch ply, and includes recessed LED lights, two USB chargers, a 12V outlet, and a three-speed fan. All electronics are powered by a 12v Interstate series 27 deep cycle RV battery, which is rechargeable. There’s also an optional Renology 100w solar add-on. As for sleeping arrangements, you get a 56.5 x 80 x 5 in memory foam mattress.
“Escapod was born out of necessity. A need to escape the daily grind at a moment’s notice, to be unbounded by terrain, free to roam. Every Escapod teardrop trailer is built with an obsessive focus on quality, and manufactured right here in the USA. Whether you’re a weekend warrior or a full-time vagabond, there is an Escapod teardrop trailer for you. #TowAndBehold”
The galley has an 18 x 56.5 in stainless countertop, with two locking drawers, LED lights, and a 65L Yeti cooler. A 21-gallon water tank with skid plate and 2-burner stove with propane tank are popular add-ons.
If you want to bring the whole family, you can even add a pop-up roof tent to greatly expand the sleeping space.
There are seven colorways available, so you can stand out or blend in – your choice.
The Escapod Topo Series has a base price of $16,500, and comes stocked with all items listed below:
● Fully Insulated Walls, Ceiling, and Floor
● Two Insulated Side Doors
● USB Charging Stations
● LED Porch Lights
● LED Lighting in Cabin & Galley
● Deep-Cycle RV Battery
● 3-Speed Fan-Tastic Fan
● Rhino Rack Crossbars
● Rhino Rack 7 ft Sunseeker Awning
● Locking Cooler Drawer
● Double Pane Stargazer Window
● YETI Tundra 65 Cooler
● 17″ Black Aluminum Mickey Thompson Wheels
● Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner All Terrain Tires (265/70/17)
● Powder Coated Frame
● Powder Coated Aluminum Roof
● Steel Frame Integrated Fenders and Step
● Redesigned Headboard (Lounge Angle + Interior Storage)
● Natural Leather Lined Accessory Trays
● Nesting Cabinet Faces + Integrated Laptop Mount
● Durable HDPE Kitchen Cabinet Faces + Integrated Table
● Weather-Proof Sealed Undercarriage
● Stainless Steel Countertop
● Customizable Vinyl Graphics
● 5-Inch Foam, Queen-Size Mattress
● Rear Welded Receiver
● 3000 lb Rated Rear Stabilizing Jacks
● 18” Standard Ground Clearance
● Dexter 3500# Independent Suspension Torsion Axle
Additional add-ons include:
● Two-Burner Stove $325
● Propane Tank $225
● Solar Power $275
● Rhino Rack Bike Rack $199
● Rhino Rack Kayak Rack $179
● FSR 55″ Roof Top Tent $1895
● FSR 55″ Roof Top Tent – Insulated Tri-Layer $2095
● Water Heater & Shower $400
● 110 V Electrical Conversion $500
● Spare Tire & Mount $600
● Propane Heater $1000
● Water Tank $750
● Fully Articulating Hitch $300
● A/C Unit + Ports $650
● Custom Paint Color $500
● Welded Storage Deck $400
● Frontrunner Wolf Pack Storage Boxes (3) $200
● Timbren 3500HD Axle-Less Suspension $750
● Battery Charger $65
● Awning upgrade – 2.5M $22
● Second Awning – 2.0M $309
● Second Awning – 2.5M $331
● Rhino Rack Platform Rack Upgrade $490
● Electric Brakes $400
Perhaps the only “bad” news about Escapod is that they’re a very small company with limited manufacturing capability. Current lead time is one year if you order now, with a production capacity of three per month. Learn more or get in line for your own at the link below.