Fasst Company is out to kill vibration and hand fatigue with their pivoting Flexx MTB handlebars. Available in several variants, the bars use unique compression and rebound elastomers for a completely tuneable and smooth ride. All feature an effective five degrees of suspension movement, with optional clamping widths to accommodate standard and direct-mount stems.

All images courtesy Fasst Company.

Fasst Flexx MTB suspension elastomer handlebar for enduro, DH, and e-bike

Elastomer suspension systems for seatposts and stems are well-established, but using them in a handlebar is certainly not as wide-spread. Fasst Company gets it done with a 7075 aluminum center, carbon grips, and a dual-pivot design with replaceable elastomers.

There are four different models available of the Flexx bar. An Enduro/DH model has a 63 or 73mm wide center section for standard or direct-mount stems (with 800mm and 810mm widths, respectively). E-bike versions carry identical dimensions, but use heavier-duty elastomers to deal with the added weight and speed of pedal-assist bikes. All models come with soft, medium, and firm compression and rebound elastomers. A full spec list can be found below:

• Rise: 25mm
  • Clamp Diameter: 31.8mm
  • Weight: 440 grams
  • Width: 800mm Enduro, 810mm DH
  • Upsweep: 5*
  • Back sweep: 8*
  • Center Tube Width Enduro: 63mm
  • Center Tube Width DH: 73mm
  • Materials: American Made UD carbon, 7075 Aluminum, Ti-6Al-4V
  • Effective suspension travel: 5*, length of bar dictates overall travel.
  • Elastomer included: Soft, medium, hard compression and rebound.
  • Patent#6,860,500

Fasst Flexx MTB bars are made in the USA and carry a 30-day money-back guarantee. All models are available now for a list price of $425.

FasstMTB.com

24 comments

1. IzzyM on

$425 for a handlebar???!!! And it’s not even custom or Ti. And it’s actually for MTB?
    This article is like an April Fool’s Day joke but in August.

2. Tim on

Suspension fork alternative using temperature sensitive elastomer springs to offer a centimeter of travel, flying the US flag with pride… it’s like it’s 1992 or 1993, but with 2019 prices.

3. Tim on

Also, looking at the language used on their website, it looks like English is not their first language, even though the product is supposedly made in the US. “Impacts” or “bumps” are called “abuse”.

4. Frippolini on

I was skeptical, and then I read the price, and then I had to re-read the price, and what happened next was that my skepticism transformed itself into cynical laughter. Who are these guys and who do they expect to willingly hand over $425 for an unknown-and-gimmicky handlebar? Seriously, what are these people thinking? Do they really believe that the bike market is made up of bikers that are easy-to-convince-with-loads-of-cash-burning-in-their-pocket-crowd-as-long-as-there-is-some-carbon-fibre.
    $425… really? Elastomers, really? Why not throw in an integrated “soft-ride” suspension stem as part of the solution. 🙂 Good luck. Cheers.

5. Reydin on

How stiff do you have to run the suspension on your 200mm travel DH bike or your 170mm travel Enduro rig to need even more suspension in the handle bars!

6. Chad Anderson on

Flex bars have been around for awhile in the offroad motorcycle industry. Yes, the price for the mtb version is ridiculous like alot of cycling products.

7. Neil on

Didnt proflex make a stem before suspension forks were invented? I think this has to be the worst idea of the year, if not the decade?

• roadstain on

So, what you are really saying is that it is not a new idea at all. Softride, ProFlex and others had the same flavors in a different pile of poo. While I do not at all understand adding the system to a bike with a susp-fork on it…would make a itsy bitsy tiny bit of sense on a commuter or what not (but, at a WalMart price a typical hipster on their way to the coffee shop might maybe be able to afford).

8. Krizzz on

An obvious place for this concept would be the gravel market. Make them with similar bends / drops / sweeps to the Salsa Cowchipper / Cowbell and in the 7075 AL version for $100 and you would have a winner.

9. Bert on

This is a play on the old flex stem from the late 80’s. I could see it being used in a head tube setup for a gravel road bike, but not on a MTB.

10. Ron Shuler on

The flex bar is from the Motocross world and they do work very well the price is a little high but if they make you comfortable on the bike you won’t care about the price

11. Andrew Hoffman on

I’ve ridden these bars. While I wouldn’t shell out MSRP for them (or even close), I will say I was impressed. I rode them on a 170mm travel bike for three rides then switched back to a 35mm carbon bar. The Flexx bars noticeably reduce arm pump and hand fatigue. You can only sorta feel the flex if you really pay attention.

Worth $425? Not for me, but if you ride 10+ minute downhills regularly and have trouble with arms/hands they’d probably help a lot.

12. thesilentmajority on

I’ve used them for 5 months. They do reduce fatigue and smooth out smaller high frequency bumps. Haters can hate, just like they did on oval rings……. time will tell…….. but make up your own mind or follow the lemmings YMMV

13. Hater Hater on

I import a high priced bike part into an English speaking country. I have to deal with haters who don’t understand the concept and counter that misunderstanding with negativity and accusations such as the above. But I also get to work with riders who remain open minded until they experience a concept for themselves. Those are our customers. Customers who search out the best performing part for them.

Sometimes these components/bikes/clothing cost far more than the competition. This cost is for the early adopters of technology. For products that aren’t mass-produced and that perform a function the competition cannot.

Sure Fasst Flexx bars are VERY expensive. But there’s so many complex components to the bar. The concept is proven in highly competitive moto/ATV sports where they don’t ride rigid motorbikes and girvin flexy stems are NOT THE SAME THING! There is even a 30-day money back guarantee if the handlebars don’t meet your expectations in the field. If the product is not for you, that’s fine. But stop calling innovators who try to bring new technologies to market, “rip off merchants”, “idiots” or “con artists”. Those comments are incredibly short-sighted, small-minded and upsetting to some people. I don’t mean this just about this product above, but any new part, bike or outfit that costs more than is convention. It’s evolution ands technology folks. Accept it or buy something else.

• Sean Knight on

Well said. Many of these comments are completely uneducated. The shear cost of the R&D, and milling/casting of 7000 Series aluminum in the US is no joke. I wouldn’t be surprised if they walk away with only 20% off the top. I know and am speaking from experience as an industrial designer. I love how the same folks making these ridiculous comments have no problems shelling out 9-10 grand for an mtb without batting an eye. I have these bars and don’t regret a cent.

14. John Burgoyne on

I’m running these new Flexx bars and they do reduce arm pump and the numbness I was getting with my hands with the Renthal Fatbar 35 CF bars. I also ran the Flexx bars on my KTM dirt bikes for the same reason. The manufacturer is a great American company who stands by their products,

COMMENT HERE: (For best results, log in through Wordpress or your social media account. Anonymous/fake email comments may be unapproved or deleted. ALL first-time commenter's posts are held for moderation. Check our Comment Policy for full details.)