Inspire next generation of riders with Scott’s Heroes Inspire Heroes – Want help getting kids amped about riding bikes? Scott’s Heroes Inspire Heroes series rounds out its second season with advice on: 8 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Riding With Kids.
Whether it’s a shared day tour, a cool bike park weekend or a trans-Alp adventure, mountain biking can be a blast with the kiddos, and an experience that can stoke their passion for riding. But it can also be a mess, or even a nightmare for everyone involved. (As I type this, literarily while my wife drives us and the kids to go ride in a new place together, I take Scott’s tips to heart.)
For example: Celebrate the downhills, not the climbs! The standard 80% time on the climb, 20% time on the descent won’t fly with kids. “They’re likely to go on strike. Children want to have fun! And they don’t get much of that on forest trails. The fun comes from gently technical rollercoaster tracks – downhill of course.” We’ve found tons of benefits from the uplift. And you don’t need big Alpine gondolas to get to the top of the hill. Embrace the smaller lifts up too!
The whole second season of Heroes Inspire Heroes was about educating us parents on how best to shape our kids into lifelong mountain bikers. As a family, we’ve had our ups & downs on the trail. And more suggestions on how best to ride together and spread the love of two wheels is always appreciated!
Advocacy & Industry News
- Rouvy out new features like Drafting, bike selection & new pricing – Several updated features Rouvy has been hyping go into effect this week to enable more fun & realistic virtual riding & racing. For the start of the indoor training season, Rouvy’s team has added bike selection (pick TT or Road bikes for more realistic speeds), check out Time-Trial and Race modes, start drafting other riders to save energy & speed up, get new Rankings & Leaderboard updates and a new Career Season with new prizes. And of course the new 20/21 season put the new pricing into effect. Rouvy.com
- Pinarello x Hani Rashid limited edition Dogma F-12 for WBR – We already hit this but it bears repeating:”Together, Pinarello and Hani Rashid (co-founder of New York City-based architecture firm Asymptote Architecture) have developed a super limited collaboration, with Hani Rashid using the Dogma F12– Pinarello’s flagship road bike – as the canvas.” Two original Hani x Pinarello F12 complete bikes will be raffled off, supporting World Bicycle Relief via eBay Auction. The Auction begins September 28 and runs through Monday, October 5, at 12 pm Pacific.
- Ortlieb custom bags benefit Cycles of Change organization– On the same lines,Ortlieb is auction of 5 one-of-a-kind Waterproof Messenger Bags customized by California-based cyclist/artist Chas Christiansen. to benefit multiple non-profits. The first’s proceeds go to Cycles of Change, now through Oct 7. CharityAuctionsToday.com
Contests & Deals
- Swift & Skid Lizards launch Insta contest to wind tons of gear – Get in the game, now! Join the #swiftcampoutvidchallenge contest with a sub-5 minute video on Instagram until midnight this Sunday night, to win a mega prize pack. Up for grabs are: tents, outerwear, beverages & much more. If you didn’t Campout or didn’t shoot video of your Campout, you can get creative, or just follow along at the hashtag. Full info at the YouTube link.
- Boyd Trade-In to benefit young riders – Boyd’s 2nd annual Trade-Up program let’s you trade-in any used set of wheels – carbon or alloy, from any brand, and in any condition to get 20% off a new Boyd Carbon wheelset. Boyd covers the cost of shipping, and all incoming wheels get a full Quality Control check, and if they are in good condition will be donated to a junior rider in need of equipment. Get rid of those good, but old wheels you aren’t riding between now & the end of October. BoydCycling.com