Photo submitted by Gideon Garcia, “Earlier this month I made a successful ascent of Haleakalā on Maui. Awesome ride, not too much traffic, and thankfully not too rainy on the mountain that day. Took about 5.5 hours of biking time to go from sea to summit, just over 10,000 feet of climbing. My trusty 2014 steel Kona Rove performed flawlessly. Did upgrade it with a new wheelset for this trip with 700×32 Gatorskins instead of my usual gravel/cyclocross wheelset. Other than that, just a solid bike! Three months of indoor training this winter with the ROUVY app and a Saris H3 trainer prepared me well for this challenge. Much rather be riding outdoors  than stuck in my garage. Thankfully, spring is right around the corner!”

We always love seeing photos from where you are riding and are happy to share them with our readers around the world here on the Pic Of The Day. Send in your pics with a description here.

*Please note that public spaces and parks may have restrictions or be closed to the public due to COVID-19, please check before heading out.

11 comments

1. Allen on

I think you might need a bike fit, those bars are rolled pretty far forward! Awesome view up there though, way to go!

2. E on

Good for you and your hoods! Whatever gets you to the top. Everyone else is hating because they’re staring at sad screens and you’re in Maui. Aloha cuz

• Dockboy on

I think we’re just wondering why one would position their bars so you can’t use the hoods. For me at least it’s home base – I spend more time on my hoods than in the drops (which this seems optimized for) and the tops (which are, well, just *there*).

3. Eggs Benedict on

Nice photo. I’d love to ride that road someday. The have a hill-climb, Cycle To The Sun, 36 miles and 10,000+ feet of climbing (winning time is sub 3 hours). That being said, your bike position looks brutal. Everyone is pointing out the hood position, but the perplexing part is, it appears you have a 17° rise stem on the bike coupled with that hood position. But if it works for you, roll with it.

4. Shemp Howard on

Bike rumor folks if you are going to take the time to write out Haleakalā with the grapheme at the end please make to write out Hawai’i with the ‘okina between the two “i”s

5. Zo on

I think most people don’t realize how high-up this photo was taken, Haleakala is just around 10000ft. Given the amount of descent Mr.Garcia will be making it’s probably safe to assume the much talked about bracket position is on purpose.

6. Gideon on

Thanks everyone for the comments. If you get a chance, try this ride. Have been wanting to get a bike fitting for some time, but you know, COVID has made it difficult for the LBS to provide in-person services. Hopefully later this summer.

Keep it safe, ride strong

COMMENT HERE: (For best results, log in through Wordpress or your social media account. Anonymous/fake email comments may be unapproved or deleted. ALL first-time commenter's posts are held for moderation. Check our Comment Policy for full details.)