- Alex’s Million Mile returns in September for Childhood Cancer Awareness Month – Alex’s Lemonade Stand Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to finding cures for all kids with cancer, challenges supporters everywhere to go the distance in September for Alex’s Million Mile 2016. Returning for its 4th year during Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, participants will collectively run, walk and/or ride a million miles to raise awareness and funds for childhood cancer research. The world-wide, virtual event invites individuals and teams to pledge their activity from Sept 1-30. The ambitious goal of one million miles is inspired by Jay’s daughter and Foundation creator Alexandra “Alex” Scott, who set out to raise $1 million through lemonade stands in 2004. The initiative provides a fun, easy and free way for people across the country to make a difference in the fight against childhood cancer. Last year, more than 15,000 participants logged over 963,000mi in 24 different countries and on 6 different continents. Miles can be logged manually or by using MapMyFitness or Fitbit apps during the month. The event is free to participants, but fundraising is encouraged. AlexsLemonade.org
Racing & Winning
- USA Cycling teams up with Power Plate. Win your own to train too! – Just this week Performance Health Systems have armed USA Cycling, including two-time silver medalist Sarah Hammer, with the Power Plate pro5 at their Colorado Springs Training Facility in their ramp up to Rio. Power Plate products will give the US track riders a new range of tools to cross train and build increased muscle strength, endurance, and flexibility. Power Plate has developed training programs with their gear specifically aimed at boosting their on the bike performance. To enter to win your own Power Plate to train like the US team head over to: PowerPlate.com/contest.
- UCI World Cycling Center chooses Verve InfoCrank as official power measurement tool – Verve Cycling and the UCI WCC signed a 4 yr partnership to supply InfoCranks for all trainees at the UCI WCC, both on the road and the track. Verve will also assist the cyclists and coaches to use tools associated with the InfoCrank, such as the Pedaling Analysis System to become a key training tool for the UCI WCC training programs. Both students and coaches will know in real-time exactly what is going on all the time on the bike. VerveCycling.com
- Bianchi renews sponsorship deal with the Sellaronda Hero – After three years of successful collaboration, Bianchi and the HERO Südtirol Dolomites will continue their alliance: their sponsorship agreement has been renewed, with Bianchi as the General Partner for the World’s most challenging MTB Marathon event, the 2016 edition of which took place in Selva di Val Gardena last weekend. SellaRondaHero.com
- Stash your gear on the go with SnapBasket – Packing and keeping all of your gear organized for a ride can be a mess. Our founder and chief editor is on the road a lot this summer, so he’s been fighting with keeping riding gear straight. This simple, but sturdy $15 collapsing bag from CleverMade might be a good solution to keep all of you cycling gadgets and accessories organized on the go. Pack it up, run out the door, and snap it down when you’re done. CleverMade.com
- Interbike is adding a new Marketplace at OutDoor Demo for bike industry folks – It is still an industry-only deal, but this fall at Interbike’s Outdoor Demo they’ll be encouraging exhibitors to bring sell product on-site. That means that both new products and closeouts will be available for bike shop retailers and staff to buy. The new program doesn’t add any additional cost to vendors, but is trying to be pushed to give deals back to those shop rats who might not be making so much money to start with. Interbike.com