If you’re going to work on your car, you would probably consult something like a Haynes manual for the more difficult repairs. Having a detailed, specific guide to your vehicle is a huge help and a cheap way to make sure things go as smoothly as possible. There isn’t really a Haynes manual for individual bikes. There is however, Zinn and the Art of Road or Mountain Bike Maintenance. For years, Lennard Zinn has put together the best selling maintenance guide for all of your rides.
Clearly, bicycles have changed significantly over the past years, which means how you work on them has changed as well. It wasn’t that long ago that the idea of plugging your bike into a laptop for diagnostics seemed comical. In the 5th Edition of Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance, Lennard adds a number of modern repair resources along with all of the past knowledge to make a hefty reference with nearly 500 pages and 700 illustrations.
Check out what’s new in the 5th Edition next…
What’s New in Zinn & the Art of Road Bike Maintenance, 5th Ed.:
- More than 700 comprehensive illustrations and exploded views.
- New chapter on electronic shifting covers maintenance, service, repair, and troubleshooting of all Shimano, SRAM, and Campagnolo electronic shifting groups
- New chapter on disc brakes covers maintenance, service, and repair of all hydraulic and mechanical systems
- New tech covered in depth: through-axle forks, SRAM eTap wireless shifting, second generation Shimano and Campagnolo electronic shifting, direct-mount sidepull brakes, SRAM X-Sync 1×11 cyclocross systems, tubular tire gluing tapes.
- New troubleshooting charts
- New master guide to press-fit bottom brackets
- Also covered in the 5th edition: All derailleur shifting systems (5-speed through 11-speed); all bottom bracket systems (cone-and-cup through press-fit); all brake systems (including caliper, V-brake, cantilever, and disc); all headset, stem, handlebar and fork systems; wheelbuilding for all bikes including cyclocross and disc-brake wheels; special sections on cyclocross throughout including troubleshooting, maintenance, service, repair, and equipment selection; updated and expanded torque tables; complete illustration index and complete subject index.