Based out of Minneapolis, MN, Speedhound bikes are all built around the company’s patent pending dropout system or SDS. Using the design for the past 5 years, the SDS system allows one bike to fit a wide range of drivetrains from simple single speeds to a full range of gears. That versatility is what inspires The Only One. The only frameset Speedhound produces, the dropouts and frame design allow for a shape shifting city bike that can transform from a fixed gear to an e-bike, or a retro themed racer…
Starting with the Minneapolis-made investment cast dropout, the piece is welded into the frame with the center tabs still attached. This allows for perfect alignment of the dropout during welding where the tabs are then cut out after welding to create a split dropout to use a belt drive. The hooded design enables different dropout plates to be swapped in and out and attached using standard chainring hardware for a design that passes the strictest mountain bike dropout tests in terms of strength. Nearly any drivetrain can be accommodated from road and mountain gears, single speed, fixed gear, and IGHs including Rohloff, as well as track spacing from 115-130mm through spacers on the track dropout, or road 130/135 QR rear ends.
The True Temper butted steel Only One frame is offered in 8 stock colors and 5 frame sizes. Painted frames are in stock and ready to go for quick turnaround.
- Speedhound Dropout System
- True Temper butted cro-mo steel
- Five frame sizes for 700C size wheels
- Eight colors
- Belt drive ready – the split rear triangle accommodates a drive belt
- Silver-plated brass headtube badge and fork crown medallions
- Cyclo-cross inspired geometry with a lower bottom bracket
- Generous frame and fork clearance – enough room for 700 X 38 tires
- HouseBend™ chainstays maximize tire and chainring clearance with narrow chainlines (for example: 50 tooth Gates Carbon Drive sprocket on a 43 mm chainline)
- Studs for cantilever or linear-pull brakes, or use caliper brakes.
- Fender and rack eyelets and two pairs of bottle bosses make it easy to mount accessories
- Standard 27.2 mm seatpost dimension
- Standard 68mm British bottom bracket threading
- Fits 1-1/8” threadless stems
Along with a few other builds to highlight the frame’s versatility, this track racer was the bike that really caught our eye. Starting with a raw steel frame, Chris used gun bluing to color the metal for a vintage look.
Along with the wooden rims, vintage track components like the German mad hubs and copper plated Williams chainring were used to create a super interesting modern/vintage build.