For anyone that has ever traveled with their bike, it can be as big a pain as an expense since airlines seem to have it in for cyclists. So rather than have to pay up or label it as “sports equipment” (guilty), a travel bike could be worth its weight in
gold exaggerated airline fees.
NDVR has a solution with some solid tech for the jet-setting cyclists out there with a made in USA titanium travel bike. It also sports some ample clearance letting you choose what kind of adventure should be had…
There is nothing better than exploring by bike in different parts of the world and it would be even better to do it on your own bike! Even on a work trip, we’ve likely sat in our hotel room wishing we could get up early to ride, or do a midnight urban adventure. A travel bike makes that a more convenient possibility. To keep within the standard 62 inch (L x W x H total), baggage limit, a standard bike’s dimensions just won’t do.
We’ve seen a few versions out there from a production bike like the Ibis Tranny, to high-dollar custom frames using the pricey but solid S&S couplings. Ritchey Logic came up with their own coupling system that was as simple as it was practically invisible. NVDA Cycles liked it and incorporated it into their new titanium travel bike. To get things going, they’ve organized a Kickstarter offering everything from a hat to a bike with an adventure on it.
I dug up some pics I took at the 2014 NAHBS show for a better visualization on how it works. The seat/toptube interface is simple and add little in weight and a visual difference from a standard frame.
The downtube coupling sits at the bottom just in front of the BB shell. It uses a hinged clamp to cinch the tubes. Essentially you have just a couple of bolts you have to loosen and Voilà! NVDA Cycle says it takes only 5 minutes to assemble the bike, so that plus transporting could be worth the effort if you find yourself abroad often.
The bikes will be made in the USA and boast some nice features. Fender and rack mounts are standard fare, however even though their travel bike is presented with road wheels & tires, it has room for up to 40mm tires. Disc brakes and thru-axles front and rear complete this travel package.
- Lifetime warranty
- Handmade in the USA by the world’s best fabricators, craftsmen, and welders
- American made 3/2.5 titanium size specific tubeset, which increases the frame stiffness for great handling and power transfer
- All roads – ready to ride geometry – with unbeatable ride quality
- Ritchey Breakaway hybrid coupling system for simple assembly
- Premium brushed finish and etched graphics
- Integrated tapered head tube 1.125 in. to 1.5 in. for uncompromising braking and handling
- Internal routing shifter ports are electronic group and seat post battery mounting ready
- Flat mount rear disc brake, 160mm rotor recommended
- Replaceable rear derailleur hanger
- Thru-axle front and rear
- Rack and fender mounts
- Standard English threaded 68mm bottom bracket
- Seatpost diameter 27.2mm, 350mm recommended
- Seat tube outer diameter (front derailleur clamp size) 34.9mm
- Wheel size 700C/29 in
- Accepts tire width up to 40c
- Rear Spacing 142mm
- 1x, 2x, or 3x drive system ready
Custom Integrated Travel Case:
- Materials and fabrics are sourced and handcrafted in the USA
- Premium quality
- Minimalist, discrete design
- Airline legal measurements
- Offers style, protection for bike, wheels, accessories
- Backpack, carry handles, shoulder strap for carry options
- Internal compartments for kit and accessory stowage
- Reinforced side wall with multi-density foam assure the highest protection
- High quality double stitched ballistics nylon construction -1000d Cordura nylon, Urethane-Ether foam, and strategically placed inserts of High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) plastic Allows for the convenient storage and customization afforded by a soft-shell design, along with the added protection of a hard case