The Oakley Thumps are back – kind of. Instead of a set of shades that can only play your favorite beats, the new Radar Pace is designed to be your personal training coach. The smart glasses will still crank out your tunes and allow you to answer calls, but the real magic lies in the built in sensors and voice activated coaching software and app that will allow you to transition from bike to run, all while making sure you’re getting the most out of your work out. First shown at CES earlier this year, the Oakley Radar Pace is hitting shelves to coincide with Ironman Kona, which highlights the fact that these shades are aimed at the multi-sport category…
Built with Bluetooth and ANT+ connectivity, the Radar Pace can connect to all of your external sensors as well as the internal sensors including an accelerometer, gyroscope, pressure, humidity, and proximity sensors. All of that is controlled either through a touch pad on the temple for simple things like volume and music control as well as accepting calls. More control is offered through the microphone controlled voice command system which is powered by Intel Real Speech. The coaching (and music) is then delivered through dual ear buds attached to the temples. Given their adjustability, we’re assuming you could leave one of them out of your ear to better hear your surroundings or if local laws mandate it. The end result is sort of Oakley’s take on the current crop of smart glasses without the display.
With iOS and Android versions of their Radar Pace App available for free, the glasses actively collect your data to provide customized coaching programs for running or cycling. The program will even adjust the workout plan if you skip a workout making sure you stay on track.
Sold with a clear and a PRIZM road lens, hard case, soft bag, an extra nose pad, aero clip, and a micro USB cable for recharging, the whole kit will set you back $449 in Polished Black. Available now.
- Pairs to external sensors – Power output, HR, Speed, Cadence, Distance, Time, etc, using sensor data intergration and Intel technology
- Internal sensors – accelerometer, gyroscope, pressure, humidity, and proximity
- Touch pad on the temples for control functions with simple taps and swipes – adjust the volume, control music, and calls from your paired phone, and more.
- Microphone array enabled for voice commands
- Water Resistant up to IPX5
- Interchangeable lenses to optimize performance in any environment: Prizm Road lens to optimize and sharpen visual acuity
- Impact protection based upon ANSI Z87.1 test methods for High Mass and High Velocity impact resistance
- Protective sports-specific Oakley Soft Vault included with capacity for an extra lens
- Rechargeable through USB port
- What’s included: 2 Ear Booms, Clear Lens for Low Light Conditions, PRIZM Road Lens, eyewear Case, Microbag, 2 Nose Pads, Aero Clip, Micro USB Cable, and a Quick Start Guide