Hey kids, remember back in April when I told you about Old Man Mountain‘s svelt new rack, the Elkhorn? They are available now for preorder! The new Elkhorns will be shipping out on July 22nd, right around the corner. Check the website to get yours before they are gone.
I’ve had one on hand for about a month, using the Elkhorn on the kick-ass Tanglefoot Hardtack that I am reviewing right now. I have the Wald 137 basket attached to it via a plethora of zip ties and you best believe this combo will be seeing a few s24o’s (sub-24-hour-overnighters) in the very, very near future.
Anywho, I have some first impressions of the Elkhorn rack for you below… so far I am impressed!
It comes out of the box with everything you need to set the rack up on the front or rear of your bike using the bike’s eyelets. Also, in case you forgot, it doesn’t matter if you have front or rear suspension, with the available fit kits, this rack will fit. The shorter struts in the above pic are for mounting to the front of the bike and the long struts are for the rear mounting option.
Fully assembled and ready to mount to the bike it weighed in at a skinny 659gr. That’s pretty light considering Old Man Mountian “confidently rates it to carry 25lbs”! But, if you are worried about stressing the eyelet mounts of your trusty steed, the QR and ThruAxle fit kits mentioned above are available.
The deck measures out at 3.9″ x 10.5″ and has slots that run the length of it making it easy to run the zip ties to mount a basket, or to lash gear to it. There are also holes to mount your favorite light.
This is my first Old Man Mountain rack experience and so far, I am pleasantly surprised with the quality of the rack.
I can’t wait to get it loaded and out on a camping trip, stay tuned for the full review of the Elkhorn Rack coming very soon!
Elkhorn Details and Specifications:
- The Elkhorn comes in two sizes; Short and Tall.
- The Short is designed for 27.5 and 700c wheels. Fits tires up to 27.5 x 2.8″ or 700c x 50mm.
- The Tall is designed for maximum mud clearance and bikes with 29″ tires. Fits tires up to 29 x 3.25″.
- Front or rear mountable.
- Made from 6061 aluminum the racks are lightweight, stiff, and strong.
- The rack is made from 1/2″ (13mm) diameter tubing.
- The solid deck measures 3.9″ x 10.5″ (100 mm x 266 mm) The deck includes slots for easily lashing gear in place and holes for mounting a light.
- The Elkhorn comes standard, for eyelet mount ready with optional fit kits available for thru-axle or QR mounting.
- The Elkhorn has a load capacity of 25lbs/11.34kg.
- Powder-coated a sleek and refined shade of black.
- If you want more precise fit information, the height from the mounting point to the deck is 390mm on the Short and 430mm on the tall. Be sure to leave room for debris and mud clearance.
- Made in Taiwan.
- Backed by a Lifetime Warranty