The Santa Cruz Heckler just turned 18, and to celebrate it’s barely legal status, she’s reinventing herself for the 7th time! This time, she grabbed 27.5″ wheels and borrowed a little something from the Bronson’s closet and stepped into a flattering new matching geometry. That means a slightly longer toptube and a slacker headtube for better all around hoonage.
Same name, same great reliability, and same great price. This budget darling with the slightly bigger hoops can be had for as little as $2,599 USD. Hop past the break for the gossip and selfies…
The headtube has been slacked out two degrees to 67.
The name is just Heckler. No C (for carbon) at this price point.
Unfortunately, the Heckler didn’t get Stealth routing for a dropper post this year, just external routing for the dropper of your choice. Never fear though, Santa Cruz is still spec’n a triple crankset spinning on a threaded with ISCG05 tabs for anyone adverse to change.
Squish is still provided by an easy to maintain single pivot but the rear end now uses a 142×12 thru axle.
Not feeling the club tropicana curacao blue? You can still channel your inner Man in Black.
The geometry is based on a 544.4mm axle to crown:
The new geometry is borrowed directly from the extremely popular new Bronson. Four different sizes of this frame will be offered, but shorter riders and ladies should also eye the new womens specific Juliana offerings.
• Total frame weight: 6.76 lb (3.07 kg) M size with Fox Float CTD evolution shock.
• 6” (150mm) travel.
• 27.5” wheels.
• New 142mm x 12mm rear axle spacing – easier wheel installation.
• Collet axle pivot – locks in place without pinch bolts.
• Angular contact bearings maximize stiﬀness.
• Standard or direct mount rear derailleur hanger.
• ISCG-05 chainguide compatibility.
• 73mm threaded BB for creak-free riding and easy installation.
• Two color options:
• Gloss black w/orange decals
• Gloss blue w/green decals
• Complete bikes starting at $2599 (US) / $2899 (CAN) for D-AM kit.
• Frame $1299 (US) / $1399 (CAN) with Fox Float CTD evolution shock.
• 5 year warranty for original owners
• Lifetime bearings warranty
• Lifetime crash replacement warranty
We’re sort of starting to lose track at this point, but I think this is the 8th new/updated bike Santa Cruz (if you’re not counting aluminum and carbon frames as separate) this year!
So whats left to “650B” in their line-up? Just two of our favorite trail bikes – the Nomad and Chameleon. The only other 26″ bikes in the stable are the V10 downhill bike, which just received a major update, and the dirt jump/pumptrack oriented Jackal. Since the Chameleon received a pretty major overhaul in November of last year, we’re really hoping for a new Nomad just in time for summer loving.