Have you checked out the Wolf Tooth Components EnCase tool system? It’s a pretty clever way of stashing a number of useful tools inside your handlebar. But if you’re like me, and all of your favorite mountain bike grips have closed ends, the idea of handlebar-based storage is novel, but not practical. Which is why I was pretty excited to hear that Wolf Tooth Components had teamed up with Revelate Designs for their new ToolCash.
WTC calls it “one part tool wrap, one part riding wallet,” and it’s easy to see why. Made from Revelate’s proprietary VX fabric and measuring about 10cm wide x 13.5cm tall when closed, the ToolCash opens to reveal a zippered pouch and a secondary flap.
Open the secondary closure and lift the flap, and you’ll find two credit card slots and three vertical pouches.
Those pouches are specifically made for the WTC Encase tool system and a set of WTC Pack Pliers. Thanks to the closed tube design of the pouch and the secure flap, the tools won’t bounce out of the wallet no matter how gnarly the terrain. Between the EnCase tools and the Pack Pliers, just about all that is missing for a comprehensive tool kit is a method of inflation, and maybe a spare tube.
When it’s all closed up with the strap and the tools shown above, the ToolCash is fairly low profile, with one side completely flat.
That makes it fit very well in a bib or jersey pocket, and it’s comfortable against your back when riding. I’m never super excited to put anything rigid directly against my back in the case of a crash, but at least the ToolCash keeps the tools flat and relatively padded. The ToolCash is fairly easy to slip in and out of a larger bib pocket like those on the Specialized SWAT bibs above, but smaller bib pockets may require the wallet to squish a bit to fit.
The ToolCash also fits well in various bags, with the slim design allowing it to be placed in the side pockets of frame bags like the Voytek bag which is also made by Revelate.
Sold in three options, you can purchase the wallet only for $44.95. Or, buy the wallet plus the EnCase tools for $129.95. Want all three? The wallet + EnCase + Pack Pliers will run you $159.95 – which will give you all of the functions listed below. Available now.
HEX BIT WRENCH MULTI-TOOL
- 14 functions (spoke wrench; valve core wrench; flat head #3.5; Phillips #2; 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, and 8mm hex; and T10, T25, and T30 Torx)
- Magnets & O-rings keep all parts in place
- Ball detent swivel head helps access hard-to-reach places
- Handle doubles as breaker bar when ball detent swivel head is bent for extra torque
- Store in handlebar with a Wolf Tooth EnCase™ Storage Sleeve (sold separately)
- Magnet on bottom end of tool allows for storage on steel bike stands (or refrigerators)
CHAIN + TIRE PLUG MULTI-TOOL
- Compatible with all bicycle chains including 12-speed
- Inserter tool and bacon strips plug holes in tubeless tires
- Five strips included; refills available
- Hardened steel pin for lifetime durability
- Requires 4mm hex for chain tool driver
- Pliers works with 9-, 10-, 11- and 12-speed master links and chains (not compatible with Campagnolo 12-speed chains)
- Master Link storge is compatible with SRAM PowerLock Link, Shimano Quick-Link, KMC Missing Link and other similar master links (not compatible with Connex Links by Wipperman)
- Tire lever not recommended for use on carbon rims