Registration is open for the 2010 Breck Epic mountain bike stage race, running longer, farther and higher than ever.Ã‚Â The event starts with the Colorado Trail on August 21, 2010, and finishes with a loop of Gold Dust on Aug. 27.
The Blogger’s Grant contest is open again, and total mileage has increased to 227 miles with 34,350′ feet of climbing over the six day race (365K / 10,473m), which should add about 3 – 5 hours total.Ã‚Â The finish line food promises to be better, with beer at the end of every stage, and the base venue changes to The Steve (see itinerary for explanation, after the break), which is “within 2 minutes of a brewpub and some of the best sushi in the Rockies,” according to Mike.Ã‚Â There are 250 spots total, but only about 135 spots are left as of 12/4/09.
Check out some race photos from 2009 and a full detail of the 2010 stage list and categories after the break…
- Saturday, August 21st – mandatory check-in, dinner and recon presentation at the Steven C. West Ice Arena.
- Sunday, August 22nd – The Colorado Trail. Why not start with a true out-of-body singletrack experience? This stage gets longer by about 6 miles by incorporating a bit of The Firecracker course in reverse bringing the total mileage/elevation to 41 miles and just under 6000 feet.
- Monday, August 23rd – Pennsylvania Creek TT. This was the shortest stage last year (other than the prologue which gets replaced by and individual/team TT for 2010). While it showcased some really, really cool riding, it was just too short. Look for the climb up Little French and then the descent to Lincoln Meadows to be added – it should extend this stage by about 40 minutes for the Experts and Pros. Mileage/Vert = 33.5 miles/5300′.
- Tuesday, August 24th – NEW STAGE: Montezuma/Keystone. Time to strap it on folks. Look for the ‘Zuma stage to be on par with last year’s Wheeler stage in terms of time, toil and vert…pending USFS approval of course. We’ll also have a catered dinner for ALL racers at The Steve on Tuesday evening. Mileage/Vert = 44 miles/6200’.
- Wednesday, August 25th – The Circumnavigation of Mt. Guyot. Same as last year. Riders will cross the Continental Divide twice via French Pass and Georgia Pass, then head home via the cute and cuddly American Gulch. Mileage/Vert = 39.5miles/6500′.
- Thursday, August 26th – Wheeler. Better start harnessing your chi TODAY. One small change here – we’ll be removing the hateful section. Nope, not that one. I’m talking about the rock garden at the beginning (northern end) of the Peaks Trail. Mileage/Vert = 36 miles/6550′.
- Friday, August 27th – Gold Dust. No changes. Big ring fun there and back into South Park finishing at the ice rink into a cooler full of sudsy beer. Race awards and over-the-top BBQ at The Riverwalk Center. Mileage/Vert = 33 miles/3800′.
2010 Categories: Solo Open Men, Solo Open Women, Solo 40+ Men, Solo 50+ Men, Solo 40+ Women, Solo 50+ Women, Solo SS Men, Solo SS Women, Duo Coed, Duo Women, Dou Men, Duo 80+ Men, Team Relay (3-6 riders).
All photos from Liam Doran, check out the full gallery on his website here.
RELATED: Interview with Mike McCormack, the Breck Epic founder and race director