- With XPDTN3, backcountry exploring doesn’t have to be so far from home, or daunting – So it was just last week that we took a look at one of the mini riding adventures as part of the XPDTN3 project, and we promised more to come. We were gonna wait a while but then Bikerumor friend, backcountry rider, and photographer Steve Graepel sent us a bunch of excellent photos from his quick trip exploring tracks between Idaho & Montana fire towers while we were hunting new bike tech at Interbike. Of course it’s the visuals that drew us in (and we’ve got more after the break), but the cool thing about the whole three day weekend expedition project, is that once you set up an account you get access to all of the support info like water access, where to sleep, weather, suggested gear (even tires & gear ratios), and best of all maps and downloadable .GPX files so you can give the trip a try as well. More info at: XPDTN3.club…
- Help protect Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area, NV from overdevelopment – Residents and visitors opposed to high-density development in Red Rock Canyon are rallying in opposition to Gypsum Resources’s planned rezoning and development near the Red Rock Canyon Visitor’s Center for 5,000 new homes. Those who want to see their voices heard can have a say at: SaveRedRock.com.
- REEDstakes: Enter to Win a REEBcycle mountain bike – The CAN’d Aid Foundation is running a fundraiser right now where if you donate $10, you’re entered to win a brand new REEB Cycle. It’s a win-win: you help our friends at the CAN’d Aid Foundation spread their do-goodery efforts and one winner rides off atop a brand spanking new REEB. The more you donate, the better your odds. Check out #REEBstakes at CANdaid.org.
Gear & Industry News
- Pearl Izumi looking for UK ambassadors as part of their Champion Team – Just a quick note for our road and mountain readers in the UK that Pearl is looking to develop a dedicated UK team of road cyclists and mountain bikers to represent them in marketing, at events, and races. The Pearl Izumi Champion Team will bring together a group of cyclists from all styles, levels, backgrounds, shapes and sizes with exclusive access to races, events and team support, plus of course custom-designed free kit. Starting in February 2017 for 10 months, it”ll give the riders a chance to meet new people, ride in new places, and try the newest kit. Find out more and apply at: PearlIzumi.co.uk
- Insure your Brompton on the cheap with Bikmo – A lot of urban commuters need to insure their bikes against theft and accidental damage, but UK cycle insurance company Bikmo recognizes that there is much less risk with a bike that can be folded and taken with you. So they’ve developed special reduced fee Brompton premiums to cover your bike, and they’ve even partnered with the bike maker itself to offer a couple weeks of free cover when you buy a new bike. Check out the benefits and how they’ll make sure you always have a folder to get around on. Brompton.com/insurance