Almost every autumn GoPro takes it up a notch with a new version of their industry leading action camera. From the outside it hasn’t changed much for several generations, but this latest GoPro Hero7 Black gets a bunch of internal tech upgrades that make the 4K 60fps capture easier to use as you film, share, even stream your latest adventures – all at a lower price than a year ago.
GoPro Hero7 Black action camera
This year’s top-end GoPro updates look to be significant functionality improvements, while the core video shooting stats remain unchanged at 4K video and 60 frames per second. The standout tech update is called HyperSmooth stabilization, and from the looks of the video shot with the new camera, it is almost impossible to distinguish from the proper mechanical stabilization you get with an external, motorized gimbal setup. GoPro also says that HyperSmooth works underwater and in high-shock and wind situations too, where gimbals otherwise fail.
Jumpy video is pretty much the bane of mountain bike action camera existence, so if this delivers as promised the next-gen of POV biking videos are going to be a lot more fun to watch.
The Hero7 also introduces video TimeWarp that creates a high-speed ‘magic-carpet-ride effect’ to zoom through longer video capture. Again stabilized & up to 30x sped-up, it could transform otherwise too long shots like riding smoother trail into a fast flowing recreation of the ride’s full experience, in just a matter of seconds.
The new GoPro also gets updated voice controls, with the big improvement that the camera will now wake up when you talk to it. Sixteen voice commands give you hands free control from turning it on, to snapping a photo, controlling video capture, and even tagging a key section of the video you are recording.
Speaking of photos, even though GoPro’s core is recording video, especially a lot of endurance cyclists often use them for snapping photos and photo bursts. Now those 12MP snaps will get more vivid with automatic HDR shooting in what GoPro calls SuperPhoto.
Live streaming updates as well, sending your live recording straight to your Facebook Live feed via the Facebook app, Youtube, Vimeo, Twitch and more, all while still recording to the internal memory card. You can also capture vertically and now send videos straight to Instagram through the GoPro app.
GoPro Hero7 Black Tech Details
Even though the core 4K60 doesn’t change, the new Hero7 Black does get more slow-motion capability when you dial it back a bit thanks to a new GP1 processor. Still sharp at 1080p, the new camera will shoot at 240 frames per second for 8x super slow speed playback of your sick tricks. The new camera also stands above the cheaper cameras in the GoPro family with a removable 1220mAh battery so you can carry spares for longer shooting.
- HyperSmooth Stabilization – Gimbal-like stabilization without the gimbal
- Live Stream – Automatic sharing as you live it while saving your streamed videos to your SD card in high definition
- TimeWarp Video – Super-stabilized time-lapse ‘magic carpet ride’ videos of your experiences, up to 30x speed
- SuperPhoto – Intelligent scene analysis for professional-looking photos via automatically applied HDR, Local Tone Mapping and Multi-Frame Noise Reduction
- Portrait Mode – Native vertical-capture for easy sharing to Instagram Stories, Snapchat and more
- Enhanced Audio – Re-engineered audio captures increased dynamic range, new microphone membrane reduces unwanted vibrations during mounted situations
- Intuitive Touch Interface – 2-inch touch display with simplified user interface enables native vertical (portrait) use of camera
- Face, Smile + Scene Detection – HERO7 Black recognizes faces, expressions and scene-types to enhance automatic QuikStory edits on the GoPro app
- Short Clips – Restricts video recording to 15- or 30-second clips for faster transfer to phone, editing and sharing. Great for new users and kids.
- Photo Timer – Countdown timer for convenient selfies and group shots
- Stunning Image Quality – 4K60 video and 12MP photos
- Ultra Slo-Mo – 8x slow motion in 1080p240
- Rugged and Waterproof – Waterproof without a housing to 33ft (10m), goes everywhere your phone can’t
- Voice Control – Verbal commands let you go hands-free in 14 languages
- Auto Transfer to Phone – Your photos and videos move automatically from camera when connected to the GoPro app for on-the-go sharing
- GPS Performance Stickers – Track speed, distance and elevation, then highlight them by adding stickers to videos in the GoPro app
- Touch Zoom – Frame your photos and videos with just a touch
The GoPro Hero7 Black keeps the same 62.3 x 44.9 x 33mm housing waterproof to 10m/33ft so it will work with your existing mounts.
The 116g action cam has the same 2″ touch screen controls, retains GPS tracking & Wi-Fi + Bluetooth auto uploading, and gets three microphone wind noise reduction & stereo audio capture.
US TradeUp program
If you are in the US and want to step up to the latest and greatest in helmet cam tech, GoPro has a deal for you. Their TradeUp Program will give you a $100 credit if you send them almost any old digital camera, only good if you buy the new Black or Fusion cameras.
Pricing & Availability
The new GoPro Hero7 Black camera sells for $400 / €430 and includes the frame (which is how you mount it to anything), battery, charging cable, curved & flat adhesive mounts, and a mounting buckle. Retail availability of the new Hero7 Black is expected by Oct 2. Buy one online direct from GoPro and they will also throw in a free 32GB memory card. If you don’t already have the spares, you’ll probably want to add the dual battery charger/extra battery combo ($49.99) to your list.
If you are looking for a more affordable GoPro, the prior generation becomes the GoPro Hero7 Silver now for $300 / 330€ shooting in 4K30 without all the bells & whistles. The simply named GoPro Hero that was introduced earlier this year, now gets replaced with the GoPro Hero7 White shooting in 1080p60 for $200 / 220€. Other than the 360º Fusion, these three Hero7 models replace all others in their catalog.