NICA brings back the Teen Trail Corps program – The National Interscholastic Cycling Association is relaunching their program backing bike advocacy activities for student-athletes. NICA Teen Trail Corps provides student mountain bikers the opportunity to volunteer their time towards bike related advocacy activities while earning merit badges – thinks scouts for mountain bikers. The program is meant to expose NICA student-athletes into the world of MTB & trail advocacy.
Supported by funding from REI and the Walton Family Foundation, Teen Trail Corps is back encouraging young competitive mountain bikers to be active & engaged advocates for the sport and our trails. The relaunch comes in 3stages: a revamp of the Teen Trail Corp curriculum, the new student-athlete badge tracking system & registry, then pilot programs this spring & fall across NICA’s 25 leagues.
“The Teen Trail Corps program provides a framework by which NICA’s 18,500 student-athletes & 10,000 coaches can steward, give back, and advocate for the trails they use in a structured program… when all four badges are earned, the status of Teen Trail Corps Captain is granted. This achievement can be added to college or job applications to show leadership experience and a student’s commitment to their community,” says Teen Trail Corps Program Manager Phil Waidner. NationalMTB.org/teen-trail-corps
Where to Ride
- Bundle up and ride the Old Man Winter rally this weekend – Get ready to ride Colorado’s best mixed terrain this Sunday. Riders choose 50km or 100km of dirt, snow, sweat, and beer rolling through the world-famous cycling mecca of Boulder County. there’s even run options, if you’re into that: OldManWinterRally.com
- Ride the Snowball’s Chance this March in NY – The SnowBall’s event is a group style bike ride, where going fast has nothing to do with your chances of having a good time or winning. It’s run as a Poker Ride – riders have 5 hours to hit 5 check points and draw playing cards to complete their hand. The Check points are little “party zones” with fires burning, food, beverages and games to be played. The highest ranking hands at the end of the day receive cash, then there are prizes for secondary hands and wild cards in every deck that relate to prizes as well. Fun Fun Fun is the order of the day. Info at: bikereg.com/snowballs-chance or Starcrawf.com
- Powered by Beeline software brings shops & online shoppers together – In a logical but somewhat unexpected pairing, mobile bike shop franchise Beeline has developed a new software service platform for independent bicycle dealers (IBDs) and
mobile mechanics. With over 200 retail locations and mobile shops already participating,
the platform is available to dealers across the USA mixing the convenience of online shopping & on-demand delivery with the power and versatility of brick and mortar shops. Beelinebikes.com/poweredby
Gear Deals & Contests
- Subscribe to Ridley & get a free Pure Line color upgrade – Roadie season is close and Ridley wants you rolling in style. Did you know Ridley was started as a paint shop? Reaching back to their roots they want more cyclists to get a custom look. Subscribe to the mailing list before the end of February, and they’ll send you a free Pure Line voucher code (250€ value) that will let you pick from 42 colors & 6 paint designs for your new Ridley bike. Ridley-Bikes.com
- Madison brings Dynaplug to UK & Ireland – We kinda dig Dynaplug for its utility, small package, neat tricks & shiny colors. It doesn’t hurt that they don’t cost that much money either. Well now you can swap dollars for pounds, as Dynaplug gets its first major distribution channel outside the states, care of Madison who will get it out to local bike shops. Dynaplug.com
- Vittoria Elusion Carbon gravel wheels now available – The $1200 Elusion Carbon is meant to be an all-around tubeless road, CX and gravel wheel solution. With high end performance on & off-road and light carbon construction, they promise stiffness & a quick ride, albeit with a relatively narrow rim width. We detailed them last year at Sea Otter, but they are finally here in time for another season of graveling. Vittoria.com