Get Rowdy in TX Hill Country with Local Loam – Jeff Kendall-Weed’s series explores the stories of groups advocating for more mountain bike trails. Of course the advocacy stories are cool, but Local Loam sells it with killer riding videos, that make you want to pack a bike and road trip!
In this edition, they head to central Texas, where in the absence of public land to ride on, a couple of groups put in a ton of hard work to build publicly accessible trails on private land with the cooperation of local land owners.
Team Trail Party turned bandit-style enduro racing into legitimate trails by partnering with Reveille Peak Ranch in Burnet, TX, turning race entry fees into sustainable trail.
Then join freeride non-profit Freeride 512 who have worked with a few private land owners thus far, highlighted by the rebirth of old bandit trails on Cat Mountain after the new owner of the land expressed openness to bring bikes back.
Where to Ride
- Ride the Scratch Ankle Gravel Grinder, Apr 13 in Milton, FL – The Scratch Ankle Gravel Grinder is coming next weekend to the Krull Lake Campground in Milton, FL. It starts on the forest service air field before mixing in hard packed dirt roads, gently rolling forest service roads, short sections of pavement, short & sweet bits of easy singletrack, and LOTS OF SAND in 36 or 64 mile course options. Register before the end of this weekend to get a race t-shirt, or even show up early morning Saturday, Apr 13 to ride! Details at: ChainbusterRacing.com
- Hammer Nutrition
- Give used Pearl Izumi kit new life w/ Renewal Workshop & save 40% -Clothing maker Pearl Izumi has partnered with The Renewal Workshop and their CircleBack program to repair & refurbish old cycling kit instead of sending it to a landfill. To promote this new program that will see all Pearl warranty returns CircleBack into a second life, Pearl Izumi will be on hand at Sea Otter Apr 11-14 collecting used kit. And when you drop off an article of clothing they’ll give you a 40% discount off of something new in their booth. It’s just the beginning of what is set to be a long-term partnership to keep their old gear out of landfills, and you can even send your old kit to Pearl Izumi HQ to get the process started with The Renewal Workshop to clean, restore, and make the renewed gear available for other riders. blog.PearlIzumi.com
Gear, Deals & Contests
- Save 15% on your first Ritchey Logic direct order – Did you see that new black Ritchey Break-Away road bike we wrote about earlier today, and need it now? Since they’ve just expanded/revamped their consumer-direct e-commerce website, Ritchey is offering a one-time 15% off discount on your entire first new order at RitcheyLogic.com. And yes, it even applies to framesets in stock. Just create an account on the site, shop for your Ritchey goodies, and enter code: #RitcheyLogic15 at checkout before Apr 30. RitcheyLogic.com
- Leatt DBX 3.0 DH helmet updated & now available – Leatt’s latest affordable downhill full face protection – the DBX 3.0 DH – that we got an early look at last summer is available now in time to keep you safe for a new season of racing & bike parking. It actually has gotten a small update since we last saw it, with improved padding for a better fit and moisture wicking. The fiberglass DH helmet sells for $190/190€ and offers 360 Turbine technology that claims to keep you extra safe. Leatt.com/bike
- Get a special Color Edition Fizik saddle – Furthering their saddle customization program, Fizik has a new semi-custom Color Edition saddle line available now. Pick one of their Arione, Aliante or Antares road saddles with either a black or white base, then select from the bright new colors for the contrasting center. Does blue match your bike or club kit? Fizik.com
- Wear the same limited edition Sidi Shots as Bahrain Merida – Sidi has sponsored the Bahrain Merida team for three years, and now you too can ride in the same limited team edition Shot road shoes as Vincenzo ‘The Shark’ Nibali. As always, the limited edition comes with a special box featuring team graphics & colors, plus a handy team edition shoe bag printed with the names of all the riders on the 2019 roster. Sidi even throws in some classic white socks. Sidi.com