The Rocky Mountain Instinct Powerplay 140mm travel e-MTB is now available in a lighter weight and stiffer carbon front triangle version, with an increased battery capacity of 672 Wh, allowing riders to go harder and further. Instead of using an off-the-shelf motor from Shimano or Bosch, the Instinct Powerplay is built around Rocky Mountain’s very own Dyname 3.0 drive system, designed in collab with Propulsion Powercycle, and has allowed them to design their e-MTBs to share a similar ride feel to their analog Rocky counterparts.
That’s a huge battery capacity in the world of e-MTB; many of the batteries that you’ll find will be around 500Wh, but premium bikes are now pushing 700Wh. That gives you increased range, or more time on the juice.
Rocky has continued with their Dyname 3.0 drive system which was developed in conjunction with Propulsion Powercycle. Underneath the cover, the chain routes through the integrated chainguide, up over a small drive gear, and then down onto the chainring. Rocky states that isolating the pedal forces from the drive gear by using a standard bottom bracket shell in the frame means it will creak less and hold up better to wear. It should also offer more options for compatible cranksets, and makes the BB shop serviceable with standard tools.
Up front, an iWoc TRIO controls the bike with a 3 button remote which allows you to choose the mode of assist.
The big news for the Instinct Powerplay carbon is, well, the carbon front triangle. Using three different types of carbon, Rocky Mountain blended high modulus, super high modulus, and 45° woven high modulus to tune the frame for different purposes. The woven carbon can be found on the downtube for added impact protection, while super high modulus increases the stiffness of the seat tube area. Together, this results in a lighter frame that will also track better, while being more impervious to abuse.
Like many Rocky full suspension bikes, the Instinct Powerplay uses their Ride-9 adjustment system to allow for geometry and suspension rate adjustments with 9 different configurations. The rear swingarms are crafted from their FORM aluminum tubing, and all of the bikes get a size specific tune to ensure that the Smoothlink suspension feels great – whether you’re 150lbs, or 200.
Offered in Carbon 90, 70, and 50 builds and in blue or red, the frame is available in four sizes. Pricing starts at $6,699 for the 50, $7,999 for the 70, and $8,599 for the 90. Available now, though regional availability may vary.
• Now available with a Smoothwall Carbon front triangle and FORM alloy rear triangle
• The Dyname™ 3.0 drive system
• The iWoc TRIO remote is more compact and robust than the previous version
• The RIDE-9 adjustment system allows riders to quickly fine tune their geometry and suspension with a pair of Allen keys.
• All sizes are water bottle compatible, however smaller sizes will need to use the 2-bottle offside adapter provided.
• New mid-drive slider controls the force of the chain and directs it to the drive pinion, while reducing noise.
• Standard PF92 bottom bracket is shop serviceable and easily replaceable
• Single-sided chainstay and seatstay pivots for a narrower rear triangle—reduces heel rub, even with Boost spacing
• Enduro MAX cartridge bearing pivots with simplified hardware
• Shock-eyelet bearings for small-bump sensitivity
• Designed around 29×2.6 Maxxis Rekon EXO tires for efficient riding; compatible with 27.5+ tires
• Clean and tidy: oversized downtube ports for ease of cable routing, with full-length internal dropper post routing and internal brake routing in the front triangle
• Lightweight bolt-on axle for reduced hardware complexity and extra security in e-MTB applications
• Tapered ZS44 | ZS56 headset
• Boost spacing
• 1x specific
• Metric shock, 210mm x 55mm
• Weight: – Instinct Powerplay Carbon 90, size Medium: 22.62 kg / 49.9 lbs (including inner tubes, no pedals)
DYNAME™ 3.0 DRIVE SYSTEM DETAILS
• High efficiency, three-phase brushless motor provides 108Nm torque
• Instant, natural power response makes for an intuitive ride, thanks to an in-line torque sensor
• Standard with a massive 672Wh lithium-ion battery
• 48v battery voltage for fast-charging and heat management in high-torque scenarios
• To prevent creaking and wear, pedaling forces are isolated from the drive system via a bottom bracket shell that is integral to the frame itself
• Compact, low-profile motor design with reinforced motor casing and integrated motor-brace bashguard
• Increased stiffness thanks to structural motor casing
• Display-free with a low-profile remote for a pure ride experience
• Bar-mounted remote displays assist level, battery level, and diagnostics; controls three assist levels and “walk” mode
• Optional ebikemotion mobile app (iOS & Android) connects via Bluetooth and provides a wide range of system customization, reach estimates, ride tracking, and more
• Minimal drag when exceeding the motor speed or when drive system is disengaged thanks to crankset clutch and elimination of traditional e-bike gearbox
• Based on a third-generation electric drive system that’s been in development since 2010
• Strong regional dealer service support
• Wear items (BB, drive sprocket) are shop-serviceable with common shop tools
• Works with standard Race Face bottom bracket and crankset