The California Department of Public Health has launched a new custom license plate program with the state’s Department of Motor Vehicles to promote more healthy living & obesity prevention – dubbed “Bike For A Healthy California”. To go ahead with the special plates, the DMV has opened up a pre-order and CDPH needs to get 7500 motor vehicle users to commit between now & next September.
Bike For A Healthy California special license plates
The “Bike For A Healthy California” license plate program is a product of CDPH’s Nutrition Education and Obesity Prevention Branch, aiming to create a new funding source for NEOPB to promote their mission of healthy eating and physical activity through cycling.
Money raised from special edition plate sales will fund grants available to County Health Offices, schools, nonprofits & other community based organizations in the state in order to promote bicycling. Applicable grants topic areas include:
- Safe places to ride bikes: encouraging bike lanes, paths, trails & mountain bike trails
- Earn-A-Bike programs: for at-risk & disadvantaged youth
- School & youth programs: Safe Routes to School and bike training, skill development & nutrition education at 4th & 5th grade levels, cycling clubs & teams at middle & high schools
- Promote bicycle use as a regular mode of transportation: providing greater access for bikes in urban & suburban areas
- Safety education for cyclists & drivers, as well as working with local law enforcement to create cycling ambassador programs
Bike For A Healthy California timeline
In order to support the CA Department of Public Health NEOPB’s initiative to promote healthier living through cycling, they need 7500 current registered car, truck, trailer, or motorcycle owners in California to pre-pay $50 for a Healthy California plate (or $103 for personalized plates.) NEOPB’s has until September 2020 to meet their goal, and the state DMV will start the process of creating the plates only once all the pre-sales are received. It will then take up to 12 months until backers will receive their new plates.