“This bike made the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs!” The Star Wars nerds among us might see the name of the new Teravail tire and go straight to that (slightly modified) quote from Han Solo. We have no idea if Teravail drew inspiration for their newest tire from that line, or one of the multiple Kessel Run trails, but we do know that if you’re looking to go fast over challenging terrain, the Kessel tire looks like a great option.
Calling it their most aggressive tire yet, the Kessel delivers big, blocky tread with tall knobs to punch through loose terrain for grip. The center knobs are ramped to keep rolling resistance to a minimum, and the tires are made from a dual-compound rubber featuring Teravail’s new Grip compound for maximum traction.
Offered in black or tan wall options, the tires will also come in a Durable or Ultra Durable Casing. Durable casings feature a woven nylon composite reinforcement between the outer rubber and inner 60tpi casing at the sidewalls. The Ultra Durable casing is also 60tpi with the same nylon composite reinforcement, but adds an additional 1/2 ply of 120tpi casing on top of that, plus an apex wedge to prevent pinch flats.
Available in 27.5 and 29″ tire sizes, claimed weights range from 1090g for the 27.5 x 2.5 to 1190g for the 29 x 2.6″. Pricing for each model is listed below, but Durable run $85 and Ultra Durable are $90 each.
Available sizes and constructions:
- 27.5 x 2.5, black sidewall, durable casing. $85 MSRP
- 27.5 x 2.5, tan sidewall, durable casing. $85 MSRP
- 27.5 x 2.5, black sidewall, ultra durable casing. $90 MSRP
- 29 x 2.4, black sidewall, durable casing, $85 MSRP
- 29 x 2.4, tan sidewall, durable casing, $85 MSRP
- 29 x 2.4 black sidewall, ultra-durable casing, $90 MSRP
- 29 x 2.6, black sidewall, durable casing, $85 MSRP
- 29 x 2.6, tan sidewall, durable casing, $85 MSRP
- 29 x 2.6 black sidewall, ultra-durable casing, $90 MSRP