Ever since Race Face introduced the Vault hub, their Turbine wheels have been a great choice for a high performing wheelset with aluminum rims. Now, thanks to the new Turbine R 35, you also have a new choice for wide rims and wide tires…
Made from the same 6069 alloy of other Turbine rims, Easton claims this results in a rim that is 40% stronger than the more commonly used 6061. That’s important when you’re making a rim that measures 35mm wide internally with a 20mm depth. Big tires are usually run with low pressures, so the rim needs to be strong to withstand impacts. Of course, these are tubeless ready and ship with tape and tubeless valves already installed.
Turbine R 35 Rim Features
- Alloy 6069 welded rim
- 35mm internal width
- 20mm rim depth
- Tubeless ready (Tape and valves installed)
- 4.5mm offset improves spoke tension balance and wheel stiffness
- High gloss black logos, interchangeable with aftermarket color decal kits
At the center of the wheel is their Vault hub which uses huge flanges and larger bearings that are widely spaced. Straight pull spokes with an offset spoke bed are said to provide excellent stiffness and more balanced spoke tension. It also allows for a single spoke length to be used throughout the wheelset – front or rear. If you manage to break one, five spares are in the box and it doesn’t matter which one you grab for the repair.
Thanks to the six pawls that engage three at a time on a 60t drivering, you end up with 120 points of engagement at 3°.
Vault Hub Features
- Large oversized flange for improved bracing angle and larger bearings
- Wide bearing stance
- 6 double tooth pawls (3 engage at a time)
- 120 points of engagement (3 degrees)
- Individually sprung pawls
- One length spoke used throughout wheelset (F&R).
- Tool-free interchangeable end caps (sold separately)
- Low drag labyrinth cassette body seal
- Available in Boost + SuperBoost configuration
- Microspline/XD/HG Cassette body options available
Available in 27.5 or 29″ wheel sizes, the wheels are intended for aggressive trail, all mountain, or enduro riding with tires ranging from 2.4″ to 2.8″ wide. Rear hubs are available with Boost or Super Boost spacing, while the front is standard Boost or the optional Torque Caps for compatible RockShox forks. Priced at $900 for the set, the wheels are said to be available now.
Turbine R 35 Wheel Specs
- Built For: Trail/All Mountain/Enduro
- Sizes: 27.5, 29”
- Hub Spacing Options: Front – 15×110 Boost (15×110 Torque Cap Conversion Available) / Rear – 12×148 Boost + 12×157 Super Boost
- Spokes: Sapim D-Light, 28 F/R, 3X pattern (5 spares included, single spoke length for the whole wheelset)
- Wheelset Weight: 27.5” – 1766g, 29”- 1853g
- MSRP: $900 USD