Flying Squirrels & Radical Rippers: Transition getting more girls on bikes! – The Flying Squirrels of Bellingham, Washington are a cycling club and development team for junior girls, started by Transition Bikes’ co-founder Kari Young. Created just to help more girls get into riding, the squirrels progressed so much that they needed a next level…
So, Kari got Angi Weston and her Radical Roots MTB Instruction team to give the girls a next step – the Radical Rippers program. Adding professional coaching and more advanced group rides for the girls opened up more room for progression. Now the Squirrels get the girls hooked on mountain bikes in the local after school program, and the Rippers take it to the next level.
“The Flying Squirrels is a volunteer-led after-school ride program for girls through the Whatcom Mountain Bike Coalition (WMBC). These girls are learning how to ride in groups, navigate the mountain, and find other girls their age who ride.”
“The Radical Rippers program is led by a powerhouse team of professional coaches through Radical Roots MTB Instruction (RRMI) and when the ramps come out – a mega progression session ensues.”
From start to finish, Kari & Coach Angi are building the next generation of mountain bikers with girls of all ages and skill levels getting together to have fun on bikes… “almost 60 girls in the Flying Squirrels club and 40 girls in the Radical Rippers program”. Find out more at: TransitionBikes.com
- Votec teased Stuttgart-Stelvio film premiere – They sent their Votec Endeavour Team to find out onto the open road to see how far they could get away from their Stuttgart home in one day on their new VRC all-road bike, which we reviewed here. How did they fare on the 390km ride with 7260m of climbing in 24hr? Documenting the big day out from Votec HQ towards the Stelvio, their film debuts next week on Nov 8 at 20:00 Berlin time, over on the Votec YouTube channel.
Gear & Deals
- Save 20% off Knight wheelset with ANY trade-in – When you trade-in any wheelset in any condition, Knight Composites will give you 20% off any of their wheels. Intended to get your current wheels to some young, aspiring local cyclist when you upgrade, Knight does encourage people to trade in rideable wheels, but they’ll take any set you’ve got. Head over to their Trade-In page to get the full details, and get your discount started. KnightComposites.com
- More bang for gifted bucks with Kogel eGift Certificate Bonus Event – Kogel wants to make it easy to make your cyclict friend happy. Now through Nov 9, their limited time eGift Certificates add $10-75 in value onto gift certificates you buy for a friend (or self?) The more you spend, the more bonus credit. Spend $50 on a $60 certificate, up to spend $300 and get a $375 certificate. You can also save $130 off when you bundle… purchase any bottom bracket $119 and up and a set of derailleur pulleys or Kolossos oversized derailleur cage. Kogel.cc
- Cap off a wild 2020, with a Restrap cap – Restrap knows it’s been a crazy year, so why not wrap it up with a new cap. An essential addition for any cyclist, they have two new cap designs to spice up your ride. One is the perfect addition to a good bike camp out. The other an ode to elevation in the Yorkshire Dales. Either one will set you back £20 / 26€, with a screen-printed design on windproof, breathable cotton/polyester blend. Restrap.com
- All-new, affordable 8bar Bikepacking Bags – The 8bar bikepacking bag range has been completely redesigned and launched in autumn 2020 with numerous changes – shown here on the recently overhauled adaptable & affordable Mitte aluminum all-road & gravel bike. This includes new products, a fresh design, waterproof nylon material and mostly welded seams. The 8bar Bikepacking bag collection now includes almost everything that is needed for the next day trip or a minimalist bikepacking adventure: a big saddle bag, a small handlebar roll, a compact frame bag, a top tube bag and a dry bag. Get the full lowdown on the affordable bags, and get ready for your next trip at: 8bar-bikes.com
- Win a custom Merlin frameset w/ Knight carbon wheels – Together with sponsoring the 2020 CYCLO-X Series & CO State Cross Champs, Knight Composites paired up with Merlin Metalworks & promoter Without Limits Productions to raffle off a custom-built titanium Merlin Metalworks Portage cross or Sandstone gravel frameset with a carbon fork & Knight 35 TLA Disc wheels – valued at $5000. Follow @knightcomposites, @merlin_bikes & @withoutlimitsco on Instagram to qualify. Then you can buy tickets for $20 a pop until Nov 22, presumably to support cross racing in Colorado.
Disclosure: Some of these links are affiliate links that may earn a small commission for Bikerumor if you click on them and buy something. This helps support our work here without costing you anything extra. You can learn more about how we make money here. Thanks!