FROM BIKEPURE.org: Open letter to Mr. Pat Mc Quaid, President of the UCI.
Firstly, may I congratulate the UCI on the evolving efforts to rid our wonderful sport of the cheats and their suppliers who continue to bring cycling into disrepute.Ã‚Â With major scientific advances in drug-testing procedures, coupled with the mainstream global desire for a new start, we can visualize an era of clean, real cycle sport.
Professional Cycling has undergone frequent scandals from the use of performance enhancing products; it is stigmatized as being dirty and therefore we must take the lead, for all sports, in the prevention of this inÃ‚Â the future.
BikePure Ã‚Â is Ã‚Â an umbrella group of fans, riders, media and the cycle Ã‚Â to protect the integrity and the potential of cycle sport. Through the declarations of thousands of our members, we have compiled a list of recommendations,which we believe would improve the efficiency of the testing system by creating clarity and restoring trust within the doping agencies.
Our proposals to assist with the clean up of cycling:
- Introduction and immediate implementation of a blanket, fixed four-year ban from competition for any doping offence.
- Introduction of life bans for anyone caught doping for the second time.
- Life bans for management and team personnel working with cyclists whoÃ‚Â assist doping practices.
- Strict adherence to the rulebook and a time limit of 4 weeks to be setÃ‚Â from sample taken to test result, inclusive of ruling.
- Unification of all countries testing authorities under the UCI banner:Ã‚Â meaning that any doping infringements in a single country will have automaticÃ‚Â effect globally.
- A standardization of testing procedures,time intervals under WADA, to be enforced inÃ‚Â each area.
- Fully open results of the Bio-Passport program online and listedÃ‚Â infringement penalties.
Bike Pure is the voice of the masses and we feel that the governing bodies should take on board the feelings and wishes of the governed. We fully understand you have a hard and complex job and wish to assist in every possible way. With 5 current UCI world champions and an affiliate base from over 50 countries, BikePure’s commitment and voice is steadfast and positive.
We hope this meets with your approval and we look forward to a response inÃ‚Â the near future.
Yours in cycling,