It weighs just 88lbs unloaded, is fully enclosed, and is designed to be towed by bicycle. Those specs alone should be enough to make people take notice of the Wide Path Camper, a small, lightweight trailer designed just for bike camping.
Most enclosed campers are known for being grossly large, and needing a $50,000 diesel truck just to pull them to the nearest KOA. In theory, the Wide Path Camper will give you that luxury without the cost and frustration of a fifth wheel. The idea seems to be catching on, as there are other people trying to solve the issue as well, so that bike camping does not have to be a spartan exercise of sleeping on the bare ground.
Click more to see the specifications and pictures of this interesting trailer…
Founded by Mads Johansen in Sønderborg, Denmark, they are selling the camper, or renting it for people interested in giving it a try. Using what appear to be a yoke and wheels similar to a child carrier trailer, the experience of pulling the Wide Path Camper cannot be too different than a child carrier loaded with two children. Denmark has an amazing network of flat, smooth cycling routes and bike-camping or trekking is much more popular than in the USA. This seems like a natural progression based on their cycling culture.
- The camper is a small and light weight foldable camper designed for bicycles.
- 2 ½ persons sleeping capacity
- Fast and easy to fold for transport
- High protection from the element
- 300 L of storage space for the necessary baggage
- Simple and nice sitting area fast changeable to bed area
- Much better sleeping conditions compared to a tent
- Long lifetime and low maintenance makes it cheap compared to years in use
- Weight 40 kg unloaded
- Solar cell to recharge the build in battery for charging phones and other small devices are an add on possibility
There is no released price as of this time, it appears that the camper is still in concept stage, but they hope to be able to offer it for sale in 2015 for kr 15,000 (about $2,516).