- In light of certain self(ie)ish fan behavior seen at many races this summer, First Bank, a sponsor of the USA Pro Challenge, is having a contest for the Most Respectful Superfan. Winners will receive replica Most Aggressive Rider jerseys signed by the winners, grand prize winner will also receive a $200 Amazon gift card.
- Handsome Cycles is closing their downtown Minneapolis retail location and moving to studio space in NE Mnpls. Stop by their retail store for a moving sale August 18th-23rd to receive killer deals (10%-60% OFF) on remaining apparel, bags, shoes and bikes. Check out the new space on Sept. 6th from 12-4pm for an open house, 1620 Central Ave NE, Suite 157.
- The 5th Annual WYDAHO Rendezvous will be held August 29th – September 1st at the Grand Targhee Resort in Alta, Wyoming.
- Registration is open for the 42nd Annual Carolina Cup, September 7th, in Greensboro, NC. Click here to volunteer at the race!
- Registration is also open for Trek’s 2nd Annual Backyard UCI Cyclocross Race, September 20-21st. Held in the backyard of Trek’s global HQ in Waterloo, WI.
- Blackberry Farm in TN is offering a private Tour de Smokies event featuring three days of cycling with former pro and top cycling Coach Robbie Ventura, andTour de France Veterans George Hincapie and Christian Vande Velde. Each day’s 45-75 miles of riding will be capped with incredible food and wine at the luxury farm situated in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains.
- The 2014 Handmade Bike and Beer Festival, combining the OBCA Handmade Bike Show with HUB’s BiKETOBEERFEST, will be held September 28th at Hopworks Urban Brewery in Portland, Oregon. Check out Karl Edwards’ website detailing the progression of the beautiful poster for the event.
- Don’t forget the Philly Bike Expo on Nov 8-9th!
- Pure Adventures has announced new Supported Self Directed Tours – a hybrid of guided and self-supported trips in Europe and Western US.
- Cyclists in Western North Carolina are banding together to support Jaimee Johnsen who was hit by a car while out training. They are taking donations via GoFundMe to help with medical bills, and Industry 9 has offered a bonus – anyone who donates over $20 can be entered to win your choice of any standard aluminum (road or mtn) wheel set.
- KCCI reports that Ames, Iowa, has installed bicycle radar systems at intersections that detects cyclists waiting for the traffic light.
- On Wednesday, the NYPD started a two week “Bicycle Safety Crackdown” to target violations that threaten the safety of cyclists and pedestrians. Drivers who interfere with cyclists’ progress by blocking bike lanes will also be targeted.
- And news that couldn’t be more timely, in fact, I wish it had come sooner: Smashburger, a founding sponsor of the USA Pro Challenge, will be fundraising for the Davis Phinney Foundation which supports people diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease with information and guidance on living with the disease. Coinciding with the start of the race, August 18th – September 14th, the burger chain will be selling orange bracelets with the foundation’s motto “Every Victory Counts” for $2.
Friday Roundup – Bicycle Bits & Pieces
Support us! Bikerumor may earn a small commission from affiliate links in this article. Learn More