- Why Oval Rings Help You Ride Better – The UK based manufacturer of durable, lightweight and beautiful bicycle parts, absoluteBLACK has recently produced a few videos to illustrate the benefits of oval rings. They’re so sure that you’ll love your oval ring that they’ll give you 30 days to try it and if you don’t love it, you can send it back for a refund. There will be more videos to come so be sure to subscribe to their YouTube Channel.
Recall news and a lot more after the break….
- Tickets for the 10th Edition of Red Bull Rampage On Sale Now – Red Bull Rampage, the world’s toughest freeride MTB event, once again welcomes a limited number of spectators on-site to witness the 10th Edition firsthand October 17. Tickets have been released to the public for $25 and can be purchased at redbull.com/rampage. Spectators who act quick enough to get a ticket and make the journey will also be able to attend the qualifiers, held on October 15. If you can’t snag a ticket or are unable to attend the spectacle in person don’t worry, you can watch the finals live on Red Bull TV.
- Mountain Bikers Create All-Natural Energy Food – We discovered B-LINE at a recent XC race in North Carolina when they sponsored the series and provided samples to racers. Created by two mountain bikers as a result of a “super bonk”, B-LINE is an all-natural energy food providing fast absorbing carbohydrates. Made with 5 real food ingredients, it comes in a 2.5 oz. resealable squeeze pouch. The current flavor is honey, maple, molasses and lemon with chia seeds. A second flavor (pomegranate, banana, maple, honey, coconut) will be released in September as well as redesigned packaging. Watch Bikerumor for a follow up story once the new products are released and we have a chance to sample all of the flavors. Visit them at blinenaturalenergy.com
- Strong H2 Pre-season Sales Boost NICA Youth Program – The National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA) is pleased to announce the resounding success of a pre-season sales percentage partnership program with cycling components distributor Highway Two (H2), working in concert with their dealer network.
NICA’s executive director, Austin McInerny said, “Highway Two is the first company in NICA’s history to support the future of cycling by directly committing a percentage of their annual sales, and it’s been very positive for all concerned.” Learn more about NICA at nationalmtb.org
- Bombtrack: Finally Available in the USA – Beginning this Fall, the expanded range of Bombtrack bikes is available for 2016. The range now includes new models which carry the brand into some additional areas of cycling. So if your interest is Cyclocross, Gravelrace, Adventure & Travel, Endurance, Road, Track or even Fixed-Freestyle there is something in the 2016 range for you. If you are a retailer looking to stock some Bombtrack bikes, or an enthusiastic consumer looking for a local dealer, feel free to contact North America Cycles for more information.
- Ellsworth Launches New Look – After being acquired by composites manufacturer BST Nano in 2014, Ellsworth Handcrafted Bicycles has been transforming their line of bicycles by introducing new models and updating existing ones. In preparation for Interbike and Outdoor Demo, Ellsworth has revealed their logotype and emblem which will also serve as their head tube badge. Look for coverage of their new line of 2016 bikes at Interbike.
- Fools Gold 50 and 100 Mile MTB Race – Register by August 31st and Save! – There are only ~100 spots remaining in the 50 mile race which is limited to 300 racers. The 100 mile race is limited to 200 racers. The race is on Saturday, September 19th in Dahlonega, Georgia and is once again the NUE Series Finale. Online registration is here. MountainGoatAdventures.com
- Canyon is Ready to Take the Lead in Women’s Pro Peloton in 2016 – Canyon is ready to take on the women’s professional peloton in 2016. Canyon has already had two successful seasons with UCI WorldTeams Katusha and Movistar Team with plenty of podiums and several big wins. Now it is time to transfer the concept of a close and professional partnership into women’s road racing. To that end, Canyon is pleased to announce it has joined forces with successful Directeur Sportif Ronny Lauke to bring that vision to life. Canyon.com
- Wood River Bike Coalition Raffle – The non-profit group Wood River Bike Coalition is located in the Sun Valley, Idaho area that advocates for all things bike. A major fire came through the area a few years ago that took out many of the best trails in their network of over 400 miles of singletrack. While some have been recovered, there are many that are still unrideable. They’ve been looking into funding a group 3-4 months out of the year to work as a trail crew to re-establish and/or build trails and they’ve started a raffle to help with the fundraising. Smith, Ibis and Club Ride have all contributed items that you can win. All proceeds will go directly to the WRBC and their fundraising efforts. Check out the items that they’re raffling and help them reach their $10,000 goal.
- Volkswagen Pit Stop Package awarded to leading National Bike Challenge Rider – PeopleForBikes awarded National Bike Challenge rider Kurt Searvogel with the Volkswagen Pit Stop Package for being the top rider at the halfway point of the National Bike Challenge. As of July 17, Searvogel logged a total of 17,253 miles on his bike —more than 200 miles a day—since the Challenge began on May 1. Read the Full Press-Release Here
- Achieve Sufferlandrian Knighthood at the UCI World Championships in Richmond! – If you’ve been thinking about doing Sufferlandrian Knightood, and you’re going to the UCI Road World Championships next month…THEN YOU NEED TO DO THIS. Together with TACX, the UCI and the Richmond 2015 Organising Committee, we present a Knighthood on a GLORIOUS stage. Register Here if you’d like to be on of the only 20 participants! TheSufferfest.com
- Bicycles Don’t Have Motors – Lindarets releases Motorbike Tee in support of human-powered trail access. The distinction between motorized and non-motorized recreation should be clear, but there are those within our own industry who seek to have motor-assist cycles defined as bicycles for the purposes of trail access. Contact IMBA in support of their Motorized/Nonmotorized Recreation Policy Statement. Engage your local land managers. Do anything but sit idly by while others attempt to redefine the sport and the places that we love. To order the T-shirt shown above, visit lindarets.com
- Blue Ridge Mountain Club and BSG Host Weekend Cycling Experience – Blue Ridge Mountain Club, a 6,200-acre community in the heart of North Carolina’s High Country between Blowing Rock and Boone, N.C., is pleased to host The 2015 Blue Ridge Ascent, in conjunction with the Blood, Sweat & Gears’ Blowing Rock Fall Classic, the weekend of September 26-27. This partnership will give the two organizations and participants the opportunity to give back to North Carolina’s High Country community. Proceeds from Blue Ridge Mountain Club’s 2015 Blue Ridge Ascent and BSG’s Blowing Rock Fall Classic will be donated to different organizations in the local area. Registration is now open for both events.
- Breezer Recalls Downtown Bicycles Due to Crash Hazard; Pedals Can Come Off – Visit CPSC.gov for details on the Breezer Downtown Bicycle recall.
- Voluntary Recall of SCOTT Trekking-, City- and E-Bikes – SCOTT recalls SR Suntour NEX and NCX suspension Forks. Due to possible drop out issues, SCOTT asks consumers to bring back certain Trekking-, City- and E-Bikes to the shops. This worldwide recall affects SR Suntour “NEX” and “NCX” suspension forks on SCOTT Sportster, E-Sportster, Venture, E-Venture and Atacama trekking bikes of model year 2011, 2012 and 2013. SCOTT has sold these bikes to retail stores from about October 2010 to November 2013. A detailed list of all SCOTT bikes equipped with a recalled fork can be found on SCOTT’s homepage under safety and recalls.