Summit the Highest Peak in the Eastern US this Labor Day – Trek Travel salutes the season’s “last hurrah” with their new Asheville to Brevard Bike Tour this Labor Day. Guests will summit the highest peak in the eastern US, enjoy Southern-inspired cuisine, bluegrass music, and the local microbrew scene, relaxing for a few days in modern forest lodges around Pisgah National Forest. Bike the Blue Ridge Parkway by day, then soak up Brevard’s vibes by night equipped with a racy Trek Domane SL7 Di2 carbon road bike. Every roadie (and maybe mountain bikers too) should summit Mount Mitchell by bike – the highest point east of the Mississippi at 6684ft/2037m. TrekTravel.com
Advocacy & Industry News
- Courier champ Austin Horse rides for Health Care in Bill Meier’s memory – New York pizza delivery guy and a lifelong advocate for riding in the city Bill Meier wanted to ride his bike until the day he died. Unfortunately, without a way to pay for healthcare, that day came too soon. To honor Bill’s memory, a crew of NYC bike messengers, led by competitive courier champion & Red Bull athlete Austin Horse, rode to Albany this month holding tightly to Bill’s precious bike to advocate the New York State Assembly to approve a Universal Health Care Bill. Austin and friends want Bill’s tragic and preventable death to be a symbol of the right for all people to have access to medical care to live their best life.
- Attempt by Ironman to buy up the Breck Epic fall through – Earlier this summer rumors were floating around that the triathlon organizers of the Ironman series were looking to buy the Breckinridge race. After Ironman bought the Cape Epic two summers ago, they were hoping to turn the Breck Epic into a qualifier race. Local paper the Summit Daily reported recently that Breck founder Mike McCormack wasn’t satisfied with potential conservation impacts, so he called off buy-out talks. BreckEpic.com
- SRAM’s summer update on their Women’s Program – The SRAM Women’s Program is a community that aims to promote women’s cycling, to inspiring female cyclists through experience, education and social connectivity. SRAM highlights important biking ambassador getting more women on the bike, and supports a broad calendar of inviting events. Check out the current schedule at: SRAM.com
- Maes beer named official partner of Quick-Step – So, I was excited when a fully Euro team announced they were partnering with a brewery – and putting a beer name on their World Tour jersey no less! And Quick-Step Floors Cycling Team, they are one of the winningest in the pro peloton and Belgian, which got me thinking trappist ales! But sadly it is a non-alcoholic pilsner. Oh well. OK, I can still get behind the idea of a low-cal, non-alcoholic drink to share with friends, but still… alken-Maes.be
Where to Ride (& just Spectate!)
- Dropping in Oct 28: 2018 Red Bull Rampage heads to an all new spot – The date has been set for the 2018 edition of the biggest show in freeride mountain biking. The Red Bull Rampage returns to the Utah desert October 26. This fall, 21 of the world’s greatest freeriders will transform the unforgiving terrain of southern Utah into crazy descent lines, with the goal of showing their unique fearless skills on the bike. Follow along on: RedBull.tv
- Go see the Tour de France 2019 in person – The Tour is in the tick of it now. You know you are super into it. Why not go there and see it for yourself‽ Sports Tours International has you covered. Reserve a spot right now for next year’s Tour. Options range from riding over the official finish line, to start village access, VIP welcomes & receptions, or even the chance to ride along in an official Tour car.
Gear & Special Deals
- Save 40% in Rapha’s summer sale – It doesn’t seem so long since their last season ending sale, but 40% off is always a good reason to try Rapha bib shorts with the free repairs program. Shop the sale across the entire collection, with limited colors, sizing & styles in stock. Rapha.cc
- Ride now, Pay later with Quintana Roo – Quintana Roo are closing out last year’s PRsix bikes at 30% off until the end of July. They are also offering 0% interest for 12 months to those who qualify. So get fast and pay it off in less than a year for no extra out of pocket cost! shop.QuintanaRooTri.com