Shred La Winter DH this February in Val di Sole – In just under two months time for its eighth year, La Winter DH returns to the snowy Alpine slopes of northern Italy. We all know Val di Sole for summer XC & DH World Cup mountain biking, but what about returning once the slopes are snowed in for the winter?
This year the crazy La Winter DH is back on the slopes, but on a new course on the steep Alpe Alta slope, slipping & sliding down the 1km long race course between classic giant slalom ski gates.
“As usual, La Winter DH kicks off our biking season“, said Val di Sole Tourist Board President, Luciano Rizzi. “It’s an exciting, thrilling & unique competition which conveys emotions to athletes and fans. Tonale Pass’s Alpe Alta slope will care for the rest: the course is going to be more challenging compared to the previous editions, therefore increasing the technical value of the competition.”
The winter DH race gets an eliminator format that will see small groups fly down the track, with winners advancing round after round. Balance and confidence while out of control will probably be the deciding factors of the winners. Registration for those brave enough are open now for just a 30€ entry fee til Jan 15, then an extra 10€ until the Feb 13 deadline. Do you have what it takes? ValdiSoleBikeland.com
Where to train & ride
- The Sufferfest releases in-app training plans & calendar – Popular indoor training program The Sufferfest has boosted the functionality of their in-app workouts with new training plan letting you select, modify & manage all of their 100+ plans straight from your mobile device covering personalized road, tri, gravel, CX, XC & eSports race training. The new integrated calendar function also lets you see your training schedule at a glance, in a color-coded calendar view to help stay on top of work towards a target. TheSufferfest.com
- Join us for the next Bohemian Border Bash, next September – Just last week, we awarded the Bohemian Border Bash an Editor’s Choice Award as my favorite new gravel bike event. Now we have word that early registration is officially open for the 2020 edition next Sep 10-13. Come join the Bikerumor EU team as we search out new-to-us gravel roads in our own backyard on the beautiful Czech/German border in and around Bohemian Switzerland National Park. BohemianBorderBash.com
Advocacy & Industry News
- Courts side with Fox/RaceFace against SRAM narrow-wide ring patent – Bicycle Retailer reports that a US Court of Appeals has supported the Fox (parent of RaceFace) claim that SRAM should not have patent protection for their narrow-wide X-Sync chainring design that forces the industry to pay them royalties. The long & short is that much of the design has been in the public realm for a long time, but SRAM is adamant that their patent adds something new. The decision is still far from over, but now heads back to the board of the US Patent office for closer review.
- Fazua expands e-bikes to US & Canada, partners with Trek & QBP – The German e-bike drive system maker is making a huge push into North America this week. Known for their compact downtube motor & battery setup and probably the smoothest power assist on the market, Fazua launches their move across the Atlantic with Trek, now offering the Trek Domane+ LT e-road bike. And if you wonder who will service your new e-drivetrain… available through almost every US independent bike shop QBP will be Fazua’s official service partner, industry training source, as well as supplying spare parts. Fazua.com
- BMC recalls 2018 & 2019 Teammachine SLR01 Disc road bikes & frames – If you own one of this year’s or last year’s top-spec BMC road race bikes, you apparently should stop riding it immediately and get to your local dealer. According to a recall being cordinated in multiple countries, the SLR01 Disc bikes have a carbon steerer tube that can crack/break while riding causing an obvious crash hazard. Interestingly, the recall also reveals something we don’t often see… just how many of these top level bikes are actually sold. Retailing at around 4000€ for the frameset, ~840 bikes were sold in the US and aother 94 in Canada (including frames & complete builds) since June 2017. Model year 2020 bikes are not affected. Full details at: BMC-Switzerland.com/TeammachineRecall
e-Bike Tips & Where to ride them
- How to set up the e-bike Santa gave you! – Mountain bike tour company H+I Adventures has started a new #eMTBminute video series offering How-To tips for new e-bike riders. Besides a fast look at hot to corner an e-bike, this one gives a few quick tips on what new e-MTB owners need to do if they find a shiny pedal assist bike wrapped up under the Festivus pole this season. Now go charge your bike and go for a ride… maybe on an e-Tour in Europe or Africa. MountainBikeWorldwide.com