The Garmin Varia eRTL615 (e-bike Varia) is the first radar (that we know of) designed specifically for e-bike use. The design utilizes the e-bike’s power, creating a battery-free design for the radar and miles of safe travel for the user.
What is it — Garmin Varia eRTL615
For those unfamiliar — the Varia line from Garmin is a rear-mounted radar system that detects approaching traffic. When the unit detects approaching vehicles, it provides visual and audible alerts when paired with Garmin devices (Wahoo, Bryton, and others) or the Varia app on a compatible smartphone.
The units are becoming increasingly popular and offer security to ride in the form of a daytime running light and radar vehicle detection. The newest edition to the Varia radar line is the new eRTL615, e-bike specific unit. A few features make it different from the current offerings, the biggest being battery-free operation.
Now that’s not to say it’s solar or something like that; the unit operates off the e-bike as a host, granting longer than imaginable battery life.
The E-bike-specific Garmin Varia mounts either on a standard seatpost mount or directly to your rack/pannier mount for sturdy operation.
Garmin Varia eRTL615 — Key Features
- Offers visual and audible notifications can warn of vehicles approaching from behind—up to 150 yards away.
- Tail light that is visible up to a mile away in daylight conditions and a light-flash pattern that changes when an approaching vehicle is detected.
- Works with Garmin, Wahoo, Bryton, and Garmin Varia app via cell-phone
- Adjustable light modes: Four tail light modes—solid, peloton, night flash, and day flash – offer more visibility to drivers in various conditions.
- Available now at Garmin.com or your local bike shop
- Price: $299.99
We have a Varia eRTL615 radar unit coming in for review, so be on the lookout for more details and compatibility.
For more information, check out Garmin.com.