— updated 4/24/09 —
BIKERUMOR.com 2009 SEA OTTER CLASSIC COVERAGE: Easton released a 50/34 compact version of their EC90 carbon crankset. It uses the same carbon nanotube Dual Core Composite construction (ie. Internal spine) and Taperwall arms as the regular crankset, which Easton claims has one of the highest strength-to-weight ratios of any crankset. It uses their Ceramic-Teflon coated chainrings and CrMo spindle.
They offer two bottom bracket options, regular (105g) and ceramic (100g) bearings and come with a five year warranty. Hit “more” for full details and specs, and to see their new EC90 SL Carbon Road Wheel, which they claim are “light enough for climbers, tough enough for cyclocross…
EC90 Carbon Compact Cranks specs:
- 582g…81g lighter than Dura-Ace 7950
- 7050 aluminum pedal inserts
- 24mm CrMo steel spindle
- Uses standard 110 BCD chainrings
- MSRP $699 crankset
- Bottom bracket available in both English and Italian threads, Ceramic ($200) and Standard ($80) bearings.
Falling just below their EC90 SLX is the EC90 SL, shown above (front). Easton hinted that there’s another new wheelset coming soon, too, but wouldn’t give any details. The SLX weighs in at 1175g/pair, and the Aero’s (seen in background) weigh 1335g/pair, so expect the SL set to be between them, both in terms of weight and rim depth.
- 1232g / pair
- 18h radial front
- 24h radial / 2-cross rear
- Easton 38mm carbon tubular rim
- Sapim double-butted black straight pull spokes
- New R4SL rear hub with slip-fit axle and tool free bearing adjustment
- Dedicated Shimano, Campagnolo and SRAM freehub bodies
- Custom Grade 3 Ceramic bearings
- SwissStop pads included
- MSRP: $2000
- SRAM Red Cassette body: $115