Straight from “across the pond” in the UK, comes news that Pearson Bikes has released a new titanium Around the Outside gravel bike. A bike, they say, is made for expedition and the “maximum cargo” that entails.
I know the headline for this new piece was pretty funny. However, the truth is that the original version of the Around The Outside (ATO) was, actually inspired by the popular 80s hit by Malcolm McLaren. I’m not sure if that’s cool or not… that song was kinda dumb.
Pearson Around The Outside titanium adventure gravel bike
Now, the first version of Pearson’s ATO was also dedicated to “maximum cargo”. But, this newly updated ATO offers the same cargo capacity with a geometry created by Pearson House Design to guarantee the rider the “‘”most sustainable” riding position.
Even though the bike has a sleek roadie-type aesthetic, the ATO is “every bit as capable as a modern mountain bike”. It can be run as a 1x with a maximum clearance for a 42t chainring. It’s equipped with internal routing and a plethora of mounting bosses.
For the frame’s construction, Pearson uses high-spec titanium as a lifetime material that provides the shock-absorbing qualities of steel and a better weight-to-strength ratio than carbon. The ATO features high-quality 3AL 2.5V (Grade 9) hand-drawn tubes to combine strength with agility.
Pearson says the curved downtube allows “for extra clearance for both the front wheel and luggage, as well as larger tire sizes”. The ATO sports enough clearance for 29×2.2″ or 27.5×2.3 (650bx60mm) tires.
You can get the ATO with a rigid carbon fork and drop bars or with flat bars and a short travel (40mm) FOX front suspension fork.
It even has routing for a dropper post and dynamo lighting, plus routing for a USB top cap port (nice).
The carbon fork offers adaptable cage mounting points and interchangeable dropouts for a 50 or 58mm offset. For instance, swapping allows you to change the fork’s trail to optimize front load-carrying options.
That fork also sports fender and front light mounting.
- Frameset: 3AL 2.5V titanium
- Fork: Full unidirectional carbon expedition fork with additional bosses OR Fox 32 Float 40mm TC Factory FIT4 40mm travel suspension fork
- Shifters: Shimano 11-speed St-RX815 Di2 OR Sl-RS700 mechanical
- Chainset: Shimano Fc-RX810 40T
- Cassette: Shimano XT M8000 11-42
- Chain: Shimano HG-701
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano Rd-RX817 Di2 OR Rd-RX812 mechanical
- Brakes: Shimano Br-Rx10 hydraulic
- Rotors: Shimano Rt-Mt800 160mm Ice Tech
- Handlebars: Salsa Rustler
- Stem: Pearson integrated carbon
- Saddle: Fizik Terra Argo X5
- Seatpost: Pearson Straight Up Carbon 31.6mm
- Bartape: Fizik Terra Microtex Bondcush
- Tires: Pirelli Cinturato Gravel M 700x40c/45c OR Pirelli Scorpion 2.2
- Wheelset: DCR 25mm Deep Alloy OR Pearson Hoopdriver Rock & Roll 40mm deep carbon
*Please note that specifications may vary due to the availability of parts – we will, of course, make you aware of any changes.
Pearson Around The Outside – Features and Retail Pricing
Around the Outside Complete Bike: $6000 (Shimano GRX 800 mechanical & DCR deep alloy wheels) Check here for different spec options.
Around the Outside Frameset: $3950
- 3Al-2.5V titanium handmade frame
- Comfortable all-day geometry
- Curved downtube for increased mud clearance and improved luggage-carrying capabilities
- Cast rear dropout for increased strength
- Compatible with both mechanical and electronic gearing
- Expedition bottle bosses on the fork, top tube, and underside of the downtube
- Ability to run 29×2” (700x50c), or 27.5×2.3” (650×60) tires
- Dynamo routing and rear light mount
- 1x specific gearing