According to the Urban Dictionary, the word Syre means “blunt, straightforward, and independent” or “when boys act silly on Facebook Chat”. Either way, I get the sense from their website that Syre, a new bike company hailing from Saint Petersburg, Russia, fits both definitions. Introducing the Syre Punkcake Gravel Bike.
This gravel bike is a custom, high-performance carbon offering. Syre says it’s “designed to keep the rider at one with the bike and have fun with every ride”.
The Syre crew says that the Punkcake got its name from the mixture of the words “punk – because we are young rebels, and pancake because well, everyone loves pancakes“.
Hmmm…ok, fair enough.
The Syre Punkcake looks like an all-purpose gravel bike that can be used on or off-road. It has classic, clean and simple lines that lend to its classic aesthetic.
There are a few geometry highlights, like the double dropped chainstay allowing for the Syre Puncake to run either 700×50 or 650bx2.5 with room for a double crankset (up to 53t) upfront if you desired.
The one-piece front triangle of the Syre Punkcake includes the bottom bracket unit as well as the YOke. The chainstays for the Syre Punkcake are only 420mm long. To fit 700×50 or 650bx2.5 tires and a double crankset with up to a 53t front ring, took some engineering in that area.
Anton, the Chief Design Engineer said that he “had to narrow the chainstay very much (to the state of a monolithic plate), but at the same time keep the internal routing.” He continues, “This unit is made of a single product as part of the front triangle, which also complicates the laying up. To be able to form the cable channel, I had to learn how to make a separate bladder.”
These details around the bottom bracket/chainstay junction and the 7mm forward shift of the seat tube, allow the Syre Punkcake frame to be used for many different types of builds, allowing for fat or skinny tires, 1x or 2x drivetrains all with the 420mm chainstay length, and internal cable routing staying intact.
Entering at the top of the headtube, cables are routed with the help of internal routing channels that are built into the Syre Punkcake frame. This allows you to keep the classically clean lines that were built into the Punkcake’s design. Combined with the integrated seat clamp detail and it’s a nice touch.
Syre Punkcake Geo Chart
The designers at Syre Bicycles chose the geometry of the Punkcake so the bike can “feel like an extension of the rider, no matter what the terrain”.
Color Options, Tech Specs, and Retail
They don’t offer custom colors at this point in the game but have an extensive and fun color list to choose from.
Retail: $3990 USD (frame, fork, thru-axles, headset, integrated seatpost clamp, rear derailleur hanger, front derailleur bracket, and all of the necessary elements for internal routing of all cables)
- Frame: Three different types of carbon fiber, full internal cable routing, 960g (without paint, headset, and seatpost clamp)
- Fork: Three different types of carbon fiber, full internal cable routing, tapered steerer (1-1/8″ to 1-1/4″) 480g (including headset compressor, without paint)
- Tire Clearance: Up to 700cx50mm, 650bx2.5″ (always check to make sure you have 5mm clearance between frame and tire).
- Front chainring sizes: 1x: max 46t, min 38t, 2x: max 53t (outer ring) min 38t (inner ring) (install crankset with a minimum clearance of 3.5mm between ring and frame).
- Bottle bosses: 3, one under the down tube, one on the down tube, and one on the seat tube
- Included thru axles: Rear: X-12 142×12 7075-T6 aluminum, Frontr: X-12 100×12 7075-T6 aluminum
- Disc Brake mounts: Rear rotor size: 140mm or 160mm, Front rotor size: 140mm or 160mm
- Bottom Bracket: T47 86mm width.
Order your own here.