Will Wu-Tang Clan ever quit being relevant? Not if State Bicycle Co. has any say.
State recently collaborated with the legendary hip-hop group on an exclusive collection of bikes, gear, and apparel. The Wu-Tang x State Bicycle collection drops today, and it’s extensive. Three bike builds, enough accessories to fill a pro closet, jerseys, bibs, and my favorite — a pair of caps.
There’s no way we can get into the details for every product that’s received the Wu-Tang treatment, but here are the highlights.
Wu-Tang Clan x State Bicycle Co. Bikes
As you might expect, the honeypot here is found in the limited-released bikes. Three of State’s most acclaimed builds — the Klunker, Core Line, and 6061 Black Label — feature a black and yellow Wu-inspired trim.
Killer Bee Klunker
State describes the Klunker ($500 MSRP) as a retro-inspired mash-up that uses a beach cruiser frame, mountain bike tires, and BMX bars. And somehow, that combination encapsulates the spirit of 1990s hip hop.
Loud Wu-Tang Clan grips and an all-black leatherette saddle set off the Klunker’s sunny yellow steel frame and high-angle BMX handlebars. State adds a bottle opener on the seat tube for kicks — you know, where you’d typically find a bottle cage.
- Sized for riders 5’5″ to 6’3″
- Frame: Durable Steel Frame & Fork w/ 5 Year Warranty
- Handlebars: BMX Style with 7″ rise, 30″ extra-wide with custom Wu-Tang Clan Grips
- Wheels: Extra Durable 36h BMX Style Rim w/ with CST Patrol 2.4″ tires
- Saddle: Retro-style Leatherette Comfort Saddle
- Gear: 42t Crank with 22t Coaster Style Cog for cruising
- Brakes: Coaster Brake – Just Pedal Backwards
- Pedals: Flat MTB Style Platform Pedals
- Extras: Bottle Opener Included
Shaolin Core Line
The Core Line (complete: $450 MSRP, frameset: $200 MSRP) is perhaps State’s most popular and iconic build. Folks (myself included) reach for the Core Line because it looks good, adapts well, and is one of the most affordable single-speed/fixie options on the market.
The Wu-Tang influence in the limited-edition Core Line is low-key. State kept with an all-black frame, seat, and grips, then punctuated the design with bright yellow hubs and a few Clan details to match.
Core Line Specs
- Frame: Durable Steel Frame ft. Seat Stay Rack Mounts and Cable Stops
- Dropouts: Horizontal Dropouts ft. Integrated Chain-Tensioners
- Wheelset: Deep V Wheel Set ft. 40 mm High-Flange Hubs w/ Sealed Bearings
- Flip-Flop hub: Includes 16T Freewheel and Fixed Gear Cog – Easily Ride Fixed Gear or Single Speed
- Gear ratio: 44×16
- Handlebars: Choose Riser Bars w/ Wu-Tang Grips (Standard) or Bullhorn or Drop Bars w/ Bar Tape
- Brakes: Front & Rear Caliper Hand Brakes
- Pedals: Platform Pedals
- Saddle: Synthetic Leather Saddle w/ Steel Rails
- Four frame sizes to fit any Rider Height from 5’0″ to 6’2″
“W” 6061 Black Label
State’s 6061 Black Label build (complete: $750 MSRP, frameset: $400 MSRP) is the premium option here — ultra-light and made for agility. As with all of its 6061 Black Label bikes, this edition uses a double-butted aluminum frame with a tapered head tube and sits on an Essor USA full carbon fork. A light, stiff crankset with a 144 BCD, mid-weight wheels, and sealed hubs make the 6061 a substantially versatile and capable ride.
The Wu-Tang’d out 6061 takes a motif similar to the Killa Beez Core Line — primarily black, with pops of yellow and clever, custom details.
6061 Black Label Specs
- Frame: 6061-Grade Double-Butted Aluminum w/ Tapered Head Tube
- Fork: Full Carbon Fiber Fork & Steer Tube by Essor USA
- Dropouts: Aluminum-Plated Horizontal Dropouts
- Wheelset: Black Label Mid Profile Wheels
- Flip-Flop rear hub: Sealed, Low-Flange Hub – Easily Ride Fixed Gear or Single Speed (w/ addition of freewheel)
- Crank: CNC’d Black Label Track Crank – 170 mm
- Chainring: 144 BCD
- Gear ratio: 48×16
- Headset: FSA No.42/ACB – Integrated and Sealed
- Stem: Oversized 31.8 mm Clamp Diameter w/ 90 mm ext.
- Handlebars: Compact Drop Bar or Wide Riser Bars w/ Wu-Tang Grips
- Brakes: Front and Rear Caliper Hand Brakes
- Pedals: Includes Alloy Pedals from Wellgo w/ Toe Cages
- Seatpost: 27.2 mm
- Saddle: Premium Aerodynamic Race Saddle
- Tires: CST 25c Tire Set
- Size: 6 Frame Sizes to fit any Rider Height from 4’10” to 6’6″
State Bicycle x Wu-Tang Add-Ons, Kit, & Availability
As for the fringe, State’s rolled out two styles of Kill Beez-detailed leatherette saddles, a roll-style bar bag, black and yellow Wu-Tang stems and stem cap, “W” grips, bar tape, and even some custom deep v fixed gear wheels.
And to round it all out, State’s rolled out a whole Wu-Tang kit, which uses majority-recycled REPREVE polyester.
The Wu-Tang x State collection is live as of Feb. 25. Head to the collaboration page and go get ya some.