The news from the Intergalactic HQ of Surly Bicycles is that their new electric Skid Loader Compact Cargo Bike goes to 11… in a low-impact kind of way. Surly says that their new Skid Loader is a “compact electric cargo bike, wired for large loads, small footprints, and everyday deviant behavior.”
This isn’t your standard “long-tail” cargo bike, the Skid Loader is designed to go where the long-tails can’t. Its utilitarian nature makes it ideal to eliminate driving a car everywhere, while being small enough to navigate smaller areas or tight spaces, like bus racks, packed trains, and smaller living quarters.
The frame will be offered in three broad-fitting sizes, small, medium, and large allowing it to fit riders from 4’11” to 6’6″. The Skid Loader will come with a dropper post and sloping top tube for good standover clearance. Surly says that these features will allow the Skid Loader to ride and feel like a “regular” bike.
Surly boasts that the Skid Loader’s rear rack capacity of 100lbs, internal cable routing for the dropper, brake, and derailleur, and lights make the Skid Loader super capable of handling anything (within reason). Add the frame-integrated kickstand plate and a dual-leg kickstand and you have a stable loading platform to handle all the loads… with large tire clearance (27.5×2.8) to handle all the roads.
Surly states that the Skid Loader, while for everyone, is “ideal for the riders who value an e-cargo solution that can flex into commutes and recreational rides”. Riders who would also like to drive less but need a cargo bike that is smaller than the long-tail versions.
Surly also wants you to know that they’ve built utility in the Skid Loaders DNA, with tough M6 hardware for the dedicated rear rack that has mounting options for a child seat or Burley Trailercycle. It even has the Surly Excellent Adventure rear axle for use with Surly Bill and Ted Trailers.
Some Skid Loader frame highlights:
- 100% Surly Chromoly steel frame and fork using fully custom Surly Natch tubing that’s E.D. coated for rust prevention.
- Main triangle and tapered fork legs are double-butted for extra frame stiffness where needed.
- Mounts for fenders, front rack, and dual Bosch PowerPack 500 batteries.
- Mounts for two bottle cages on the medium and large frames, one for the small frames.
- Front and rear thru-axles for ideal stiffness and handling.
Some Spec high lights:
- Bosch Performance Cargo Drive Unit (20 mph) with four levels of ride assist, capable of 600w motor assist and 85Nm of torque.
- Bosch PowerPack 500WH battery included. Secondary battery available aftermarket for a total capacity of 1,000WH.
- microSHIFT Advent X 10-speed drivetrain.
- Tektro Orion HD-M745 Hydraulic Disc Brakes
- TranzX Dropper post
- Ursus Jumbo 80 Dual-legged kickstand.
Retail for the Skid Loader is $4799
Check out more Surlyville shenanigans and chaos by hitting the link below.